Houzz Logo Print
likatibro

Bespoke Kitchen renovation in old 1885 house for Bank building

likatibro
5 years ago

The kitchen of the managers house attached to the 1885 Bank building was in urgent need of renovation. Amoungst other things, the psychedelic wallpaper on the ceiling (from an update in the 1970's - I assume) had to go, along with the green cupboard doors, etc.

It needed to be a high-end renovation, but without the high-end price tag, so the purchase of 28 sq.m. of "Ambrosia" marble tiles from Greece on eBay for $800 was a good start. The pattern for the Ambassador Stone benchtop was matched to the tiles, along with the colour of the cupboard doors and walls, and the order was placed with Valley Kitchens in Shepparton.

Interestingly, the original butlers servery was still in the kitchen, and to keep it in the existing location meant that it dictated the height of all the overhead cupboards.

All of the demolition and preparation work was carried out by me (to save some dollars), and apart from some minor cuts and bruises, it all went to plan. The cracks in the walls and ceiling were repaired, and the walls and ceiling painted in preparation for the installation of the cupboards and benchtops. The old lino floor tiles and masonite underlay was then lifted, revealing that all of the staples had solidly bound themselves to the floorboards, and had to be individually removed.

Plumbing and electrical preparations were next, with the location of the sink being moved from the middle of a wall, to in front of a window (which appears to be where it was originally.) The 1970's backsplash above the sink and in the fireplace consisting of white ceramic wall tiles were removed, and an adventuresome plan for acrylic backsplashes was conceived.

Six weeks from the quotation date the cupboards were being installed, and the following day laying of the marble tiles was commenced by local expert Richard Watkins.

In the meantime, the concept designs for the backsplash were sent to Akril for their feedback, and after some toing and froing, a final design was agreed. The day the floortiles were finished, the backsplashes arrived, and were also installed by Richard. They looked amazing!!

The pattern on them was an old map of the Euroa township from the 1800's, overlayed with photos of the Bank building from the late 1800's and early 1900's, and there was 8 separate pieces in total, all cut exactly to size.

They completely complemented the cupboards and benchtops, as well as the butlers sink, antique taps, original butlers box and bells, and servery.

To add some modern touches a Bosch dishwasher, a 900mm Westinghouse induction cooktop, a 900mm Delongi oven, and new pendent light from Schots were installed.

The overall completed look is absolutely unique, and has totally exceeded the original concept. I hope you agree from the photos on my member name under Likatibro.

Comment