Ensuite design and window placement

Lottie Dog
January 25, 2019

Hi, we are building a new house and need help with ensuite design, specifically positioning of shower and size/ type of window.

option 1- shower as shown on plan with tall narrow window

option 2 - shower across the end ensuite with a high window inside shower

thanks

Comments (16)

• oklouise

no question have the bigger shower across the whole wall and a window to suit the view...tall window if you want to be able to see out and wide window if privacy is more important and reconsider the bedroom entry door as it encroaches on the wiw and detracts from the coffered ceiling in the entry

• Lottie Dog
    Thanks oklouise. I'd prefer a bigger shower across the ensuite but can't seem to find any decent pics of a window in a shower. Also will a window be ok in the shower space (is with the damp, water etc)?

And thanks re: bedroom door, noted! might have to get you to look over the whole plan, haha!
  • oklouise

we had a tall 60cm wide ensuite window in a previous house with tiles in the window reveal and sill....luckily privacy was not an issue and the aluminium window was not affected by water but we were careful to rinse off shampoo and cleaners but, as a guest bathroom, we had to install roller blinds for an elderly visitor who preferred more privacy and i would be pleased to offer an opinion on the whole plan

• oklouise

search HOUZZ photos "ensuite windows" for some inpsiration

Crows Nest - Small Main Bathroom · More Info

Oceanic · More Info

Balmoral Home 2 · More Info

St Kilda East House · More Info

• Lottie Dog

Here's the whole house plan oklouise! open to suggestions/ comments. My main struggle is windows at the moment and also kitchen layout!

• oklouise

which direction is north, do you have any good or bad views, how close are the neighbours and the dimension are hard to read can you post a view of the kitchen, mudroom, pantry, laundry and meals area showing the size of the rooms?

• Lottie Dog

North now shown. We'll have about 1.5 each side of the property and a big back yard (about 15m deep). Planning on having a nice garden down the side near the kitchen and grassy backyard.

webuser_918710980's ideas · More Info
  • Lottie Dog

Closer view

• oklouise

some of the dimensions are missing and the size of the bedrooms and family room don't seem to match but will attempt approximated size to try and understand the spaces...what kitchen appliances do you want and how do you plan to use the pantry? first thought is to suggest that the island should be restricted to 3m to avoid joins in the counter and the windows should be decided according to views and climate...windows facing east and west can overheat the whole house so would suggest that the the windows on the eastern side of the dining room could be smaller and depends on what you plan for the side garden but what changes are allowed for the plan?

• oklouise

it appears as though you don't have a door between laundry and pantry if so there can be an alternate arrangement of laundry, mudroom and pantry with space for a small study nook but dimensions are approximate?

• Lottie Dog

I really like the layout of the kitchen in pic below but we'll have a bit more space where the fridge is. I like the look of a long splash back window. I think you're right about the size of the window in the dining area, might be better smaller or different shape so it doesn't get too hot.

East Malvern · More Info
  • Lottie Dog
    Like the study nook idea too! just making it a bit bigger than just linen is a great idea!
  • oklouise

gorgeous kitchen and the splashback window is ideal

• Lottie Dog
    Live this kitchen but my husband doesn't like it because it's too white! Trying to find a compromise... Thanks for all your help. xx
  • oklouise

you've been very easy to please but maybe consider base cabinets in a darker tone with white wall cabinets (and ask him to choose the colours)...we found that our white wall cabinets and counters with wood grained base cabinets was less "white" and much more forgiving of spills and scratches and chose white appliances and highlight window for our east wall to add to the brightness

Kitchen 2016 · More Info

• Lottie Dog
    In like the look of the dark grey/black kitchens too and also the wood. ah decisions decisions. Houzz is very helpful though!