goodie_yumyum

Need help furnishing family/dining

Goodie YumYum
February 1, 2019

Hi Guys,

I am trying to furnish this area to accommodate dining/lounge seating for up 6 people (normally 2 - 3 adults and 1 x baby) but think I might be pushing it given the limited space. I already have an existing 2.5 seat lounge 2m x 0.9m and also need to fit a large fridge (outside of the kitchen area) with a footprint of 1m x 0.75m and possibly a low buffet 1.6m x 0.45m (other furniture will be purchased). There will likely be a TV in the room (mounted on wall) but this does not necessarily need to be the focal point of the lounge seating. I am wondering if I can squeeze a 6 person table in the bottom left corner, fridge back to back with the floor to ceiling pantry, buffet back to back with kitchen sink and some arrangement of chairs in the remaining area without blocking access to the glass sliding door.

Anyway I would love to hear your ideas, even if its just confirming that the space is too small for what I am trying to achieve. Thx in advance Goodie :)

• dreamer
    May I suggest the following: fridge goes in corner on the right of entry door. Buffet next to fridge. Television on wall next to sliding doors. Dining table in front of doors, moved back about 1 mtre to allow for circulation and chairs. Either a corner lounge or two individual lounges in corner, wall of bathroom.
    This would then allow for walkways from entry into home, and entry from hallway. If you put the fridge back to pantry, this would make this area appear cluttered. With the fridge in the corner tucked away, you would also have room for extra storage or plants at the entry.
  • Goodie YumYum

Thanks Dreamer, Yeah I am worried it might be too cluttered. These are some rough options I have been considering.

• dreamer
    Have you access to property? Take your furniture there and see what works.
  • Goodie YumYum
    Yep currently living in the house but only have half the furniture so it feels a little empty. I can probably improvise with tape/boxes
  • littlethommo2 .

You need to be careful of obstructing your walkways, if the buffet is not too high maybe you could position your buffet against either the 4.51m wall or 3.19m wall and mount your TV above the buffet - it would double up as a TV unit and then you can position your lounge/s in front of it like you have in your options. Is the fridge too large to fit into the fridge space in the kitchen? Depending on the size/position of your sofas and your powerpoint positions the fridge could perhaps sit in the corner of the 1.51m wall and be camouflaged with a large pot plant next to it to hide it a little from view (I know this positions the fridge a fair way from the kitchen but maybe you could get a cheap smaller fridge to fit into the kitchen cavity so essentials are close at hand). A round dining table in the corner to the right of the entry would visually look less cluttered plus give you a bit more space to walk around it, a 1.1m or 1.2m diameter round table should adequately seat 6.

• Goodie YumYum
    Thx Little, I hadn't considered a round table I think it would be good with young kids but the Mrs doesn't seem to keen. I also like the other options but the fridge gets a fair bit of use so probably a bit far from the kitchen. We are going to see if we can make small/cheap modification to the kitchen to squeeze it in there. As you have both mentioned this would help to reduce clutter and keep pathways clear.
  • Goodie YumYum

Basically if we can somehow get rid of this brick box there should be room for oven/microwave shelf and the larger fridge. Unfortunately it is one of those too big for some too small for others type job so it is hard trying to find the right person to assist :)

• littlethommo2 .

Hi Goodie, if you can find someone to do that job it would solve your biggest issue, a large fridge isnt a pretty site and yours takes up valuable living space you cant afford to lose especially as you also have to allow approx another 0.5m to the depth for the doors to be opened plus extra walkway space in front so you can easily get to the fridge. I think it would be worth spending the money to get the fridge to fit into the kitchen, good luck finding someone - I know too well the headache of trying to get tradesmen at the moment!

• dreamer
    Hi goodie, but where would your oven go if you removed it from that brick box? You can't just have a microwave?
  • Goodie YumYum
    Hi dreamer. The pictured oven died recently. I assume its been there since this house was built (~ 36 years!) which is quite amazing by todays standards. Its not only taller but is non standard width. We have a standard size (smaller) second hand oven to install in its place (but doesn't currently fit due to brick walls). This should sit lower down with microwave above....hopefully :)