camille_sasse

Help with open plan Kitchen/Dining/Living space c

Camille
February 14, 2019
Any advice greatly appreciated for this novice renovator! We have recently purchased a 1980’s home which is super dark and also has a very sectional layout. Currently our kitchen is in a little room of its own and so is the dining area. We would like to open up the kitchen/dining/living space (see the picture for our home layout) and create an open plan. We have a truss roof so removing walls won’t be too much a big deal (or so I’ve been told).
One thing we foresee as a possible issue is that our bedroom is off the living space, so if we open up the space our bedroom becomes less private.
Does anyone have any tips on how we could configure this space so that we could make our bedroom a little more private while enjoying open plan living . We’d also like to have an outdoor area coming off the back of the house with access through large bifolds or sliders.

Comments (12)

• oklouise

it looks like a great house and must be a nice wide block but it's unusual to have the laundry opening near the front door ..does the house have full width verandahs back and front with a separate roof or is the same roof over the house and the verandahs? where is the clothesline? do you have any good or bad views? where is north? and describe your climate....it's always better to consider the whole house rather than separate sections at a time and then any renovations can be divided into stages and i'm wondering how you plan to use the rumpus as one option could be to rearrange the kitchen, dining, entry and bed 2 into an open plan area open to the backyard and keep the original living as a media, dining and adult retreat and use part of the rumpus to replace the lost bedroom but we need to confirm the dimensions of every room (including the halls, shower and toilet ignoring all the built ins) to be able to make an accurate plan before making any specific suggestion ...real estate plans are rarely correct and there are some discrepancies in the stated sizes

• Camille

Thanks oklouise. We are in a nice large block, 1.6acres. It’s our forever home, where we hope to have a large orchard, vegetable garden and chooks so our kids can grow up knowing where their food comes from and how to grow it too. The house has a verandah on 3 sides (not down the side where the garage end wall is). The verandah isn’t separate to the roofline, it’s all as one. The clothes line is down near the garage (our of site from the bedrooms and living spaces). Ideally we’d like to keep a rumpus room so that our kids have a place for their toys and in future a place to escape to. I’ve added another picture which shows where north is (the house has a really odd orientation)https://m.reales

• oklouise

moving the door into the master bedroom will create privacy and it would be useful to keep the external kitchen door so something like this might work but you may wish to remove the address off your plans by deleting your last comment and reposting

an amended copy of the listing

• Camille
    Wow thank you oklouise. I really like what you have drawn up. You seem very experienced and knowledgeable with renovations, do you do this professionally or is it just a side hobby? I’m curious, what would you do with the brick fireplace wall, would you keep it as is? I love the look of bagged walls do you think something like that may work? Also how do you think we could best tie in an outdoor area out the back?
  • oklouise

not a professional just obsessed with building and renovating..bagging the fireplace wall would make it easy to fill in the old master bedroom doorway with bricks to make a seamless match for the whole wall and brighten the whole new room and a simple roof extension on legs at right angles to the house with a gable roof, simple steel framed construction with Colorbond and lazerlite roofing and raked ceilings would make an ideal alfresco but you would probably need a skylight in the new kitchen to keep indoors from being too dark (and/or check out Solar Skylights that are excellent for adding extra light without holes in the roof) ...the alfresco could have basic concrete slab extended out from the existing verandah, screen walls, outdoor fireplace and outdoor barbq kitchen and sink..we've done something similar in a previous reno using a custom sized steel carport supplied by a local garage maker and then adding screen walls with lazerlite, lattice and plastic cafe blinds subject to views and direction of the weather ... you should also consider bug screening using horticultural shade cloth as you may find rural living a bit more fly blown than the suburbs and the screened room makes a safe play area for small kids and for pets left home alone

btw don't forget to check the measurements of all the rooms as there are some discrepancies that need to be corrected in the plans and would be happy to redraw with correct measurements

Camille thanked oklouise
  • Camille
    Hi oklouise, so after a bit of thought my hubby and I came up with the following kitchen/living design. With your skilful design brain and knowledge, do you think something like this would work. We thought relocating the kitchen to an entirely different location within the space would allow for more privacy in our bedroom. Would you be prepared to draw up a rough design on your computer app pretty please? The measurements in the house plans are correct. I’m just keen to see what they may look like when drawn up properly? Any of your help would be so appreciated.
  • Camille
    Oops here’s the rough sketch
  • oklouise

plan as requested but i'm wondering if you sacrificed some space off the kitchen that the hall to the master suite could include a study nook and bookshelves to give more purpose to the space but depends on what you would like to include in the kitchen and pantry

• Camille
    Thank you so much oklouise! So funny you also recognised the space behind the fridge as we absolutely thought about a study nook or a couple of shallow storage cupboards for behind there! Thank you so so much for drawing that up for us. I think I need to get an app like yours rather than my old school grid paper (lol)
  • oklouise

the grid paper is fine as long as you know the best sizes to use for cabinets and appliances but, assuming the size of the bedroom door is a standard 820wide, you've made the island about 2m x 2.8m, the counters are 80cms deep and the stove is over 1m wide so with a list of everything you want to include in the kitchen and pantry i could include more accurate dimensions and see what could fit to allow for the study nook or storage in the hallway...keep in mind that you need to confirm that you want to keep the sliding glass door in the kitchen without the sink on the outside walls

• Camille
    oklouise, what would you do with the sink? Would you move it to be along an ‘outside’ wall, so to make the kitchen a U shape? We just loved the idea of a large island so our family of 5 could have breakfast and the odd lazy dinner around the island. Hubby and I have only guesstimated the size of benches/island/cupboards etc based on our space but if you have rather accurate sizes of things it would be nice to see how they could fit our space. Do you think our idea of relocating the kitchen to this wall is a good one, or do you see issues with it. We know there is going to be an added cost with relocating the kitchen, but we’d rather spend the money in this part of the house and make-do elsewhere.
  • oklouise

the new kitchen location is excellent and very welcoming and the sink location should connect with plumbing from the ensuite and the old fireplace space can be added to the wiw, not having the sink on the outside wall allows better connection to the outdoors and aiming to have a study nook that can take advantage of the view out the north window i've wrapped a desk and shelving around the outside of the pantry and to be able to sit five people around the island only needs about 30cm depth x 50cm width each for knees and plates and the island in my plan is 2500 x 1000, the old kitchen window and doors should be swopped for taller windows and i've added a combustion wood fire against the outside wall to make sense of the blank wall between the new windows