Houzz Logo Print
houzzaupolls

POLL: What's your favourite kitchen splashback?

HouzzAU Polls
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Splashbacks are not only practical for protecting your walls from moisture, but also enhance the design of your kitchen. We recently ran a story on some of the latest kitchen splashbacks we're loving.

We want to hear from you what your favourite kitchen splashback is? Vote and tell us in the comments.

Marble/natural stone
Glass
Mirror
Geometric tiles
Subway tiles
Patterned tiles
Stainless steel

Comments (46)

• Brian Algeo
    5 years ago

We used Glass and acrylic, easy and quick to install, cheap, easy to clean and suits our kitchen perfectly

• PRO
    Helenscolour
    5 years ago
    I love the ‘concrete crush’ splashback. It combines so well with the natural woods and I think rather low maintenance!
  • PRO
    F-Studio on the Mars
    5 years ago

Glass gives you numerous options for design, especiially printing on glass. However, depending on the style of he kitchen the best choice can be tiles or stone. I do not personally like acrylics that much, though corian and similar materials are great if you want a consistent finish thoughout.

• PRO
    Mayfair Building Group
    4 years ago

I feel that with a neutral selection of tiled back splash you will last through many trends. These funky greens and yellow glass backsplashes will age to soon.

• jerpie293
    4 years ago
    My mum's kitchen has a Lamin's splashback (matches the benchtops) and after 25 years is still flawless. Super easy to clean and looks great, wish I could get someone to do it in my house!
  • jerpie293
    4 years ago
    *laminex
  • PRO
    F-Studio on the Mars
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Laminated boards cannot be used behind the cooktop, being a combustible material it is not safe and against the Australian standards, unfortunately.

• PRO
    JAYEN INNOVATIONS PTY LTD
    4 years ago

Here's one of my personal favourites:

A contemporary and minimalistic design with high gloss. The bench top and kitchen splashback are made of glacier white corian stone. Easy to install, aesthetically clean-cut and pleasing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black High Gloss + Glacier White Bench Top · More Info

High Gloss black kitchen with white corian bench top · More Info

• Brenda Martin
    4 years ago
    Hate windows used as splash-backs.
    I’ve seen a lot of narrow windows used as splash backs and just can’t understand why. Ok, aside from letting light and the garden into the kitchen, and the use of additional upper cabinetry ....just why! Cleaning must be a nightmare. Give me anything but a damn window.
  • annb1997
    4 years ago

We had a large window behind the kitchen sink in a previous home. Loved the garden view outdoors but did require regular wiping off water splatters, although we didn’t mind too much. Our current home has part of a window over the end of kitchen bench (but not behind cooktop), AND there are two long windows above long bench outside the ensuite. This is where our sinks are located and the purpose of windows here is to provide view of pool and enhance the feeling of serenity. It works!

• annb1997
    4 years ago

I guess I prefer glass for my own kitchen splashback - for ease of cleaning, plus the endless choice of colours. However, I love so many of the beautiful tiles I’m seeing elsewhere, so if I was ever to build or renovate again...tiles it will be.

• Brenda Martin
    4 years ago
    Hi Annb, my butlers pantry has a lovely window by the sink so I’m not opposed to that at all. I was more referring to kitchen cooktops having windows as kitchen splash backs. Cleaning up after cooking is certainly more work than water from the sink.
  • annb1997
    4 years ago

Hi Brenda, I’m with you on that! There’s a window over sink in my BP as well...however, it looks right at my husband’s outdoor kitchen and he’s not fastidious about keeping it clean! :/

• Sheryl Eustace
    4 years ago

Hi,I like glass and I designed my own splash back using small black/white patterned tiles that I have in the kitchen by taking a photo then enlarging it in photoshop then I added circles and applied a technique. I then added a border.After this I had it printed onto a special paper .We then applied this to the area of the backsplash is then added the glass.

The glass can be taken off if required

Sorry Photo has the reflection on it.

• PRO
    F-Studio on the Mars
    4 years ago

Hi Sheryl, thanks for the idea! It's such a creative and individual solution! So, you wanted to repeat the tiled pattern?

• Sheryl Eustace
    4 years ago

yes...took photos of 4 designs then played around with them until I liked what I saw...

• PRO
    Moss Furniture
    4 years ago

We like Caesarstone for benches as well as splashbacks in Kitchens

• PRO
    Door42 Interiors
    4 years ago
    I’ve got glass and though I love it, it’s more of a love of convenience to be honest. It looks great, is super easy to clean and just generally low-maintenance which works for a family like mine with all the cooking we do. Tiles have seriously upped their game in the splash back department. With the endless variety in stunning designs and textures I know for sure that I’ll be using tiles for my next splash back; we’ll just have to cut back on rich, splatter-ey tomato based sauces!
  • Vicki Boatwood
    4 years ago

We originally had glass when we built 10 yrs ago but recently became bored with it so went for tiles...absolutely love the final look

• 3132design
    4 years ago

We used a photo with glass - can be printed behind or printed onto the back of the actual glass (ours is permanently on the glass). Still love it. It's a tiny studio kitchen but gives it depth.

• dressnicely
    4 years ago

Glass is great because you can put wallpaper behind it. Infinite choice of pattern and colour.

• Noelene C
    4 years ago

Extremely easy to clean, no grout lines, great colour choices, is fire retardent treated, very hard if you tried to break it - I do not think you can!!!

• Elizabeth Wilson
    4 years ago

Love our porcelain splash back

• PRO
    JAYEN INNOVATIONS PTY LTD
    4 years ago

that's beautiful !!

• Bron Spiers
    4 years ago

Glass again and again...super easily cleaned with no grotty grout.

• Elizabeth Wilson
    4 years ago

No grout on porcelain either and super easy to clean

• myownstyle13
    4 years ago

None of the above. I have a wood-looking laminate counter top and the same as a splashback. Still loving it. Easy to clean and looks great.

And yes, it can be used if you have an induction cooktop!

• oscaranddonna
    4 years ago

It took us about 20 months after installing our kitchen to decide on a splashback. We went with tiles. They are italian tiles bought on sale so were cost competitive but are not just gazed tiles so not fragile. Our tiler used epoxy grout so no staining either. Really happy with our choice and they just wipe clean.

• Elizabeth Wilson
    4 years ago

I think kitchens are really personal. You should have exactly what you love. Good idea to wait and even better you got a bargain! Hope you love your kitchen as much as I love mine

• Sheila Smart
    4 years ago

We used my own photographs of Mt Cook and Lake Pukaki in both our splashbacks in new kitchen.

• 3132design
    4 years ago

How fabulous are these!!

• robandlyn
    4 years ago

Vicki Boatwood....love your new tile splashback. We also have glass and have been thinking of changing - how did it go removing the glass splashback?? Did it cause any damage to the wall behind?

• juned1
    4 years ago

Love subway tiles, always a classical look,especially white tiles with grey grout.

• pascoeyvonne
    4 years ago

Have had several homes over the years and used different splashback each time. My favourite is glass splashback with colour of choice.

• PRO
    Eye for Decor
    4 years ago

Love subway tiles too, but once I used a mirror splashback in a tiny shoebox apartment behind a galley kitchen and it opened the space so much and looked so glamorous. (Admit that extra Windex was needed on a regular basis, but told worth it.)

• PRO
    Eye for Decor
    4 years ago

I'm dying to do an historic panoramic wallpaper behind glass! C'mon somebody, commission me to do it!

• denisreno
    4 years ago

Sorry - I did a stone benchtop and used it for the splashback also. Looks great and that has let me put all sorts of colours in the kitchen and on the benchtops - love it.

• Vicki Boatwood
    4 years ago

Robandlyn....hi..the glass came off easier than we thought & all in one piece in their sections..just scraped the glue patches off and filled any plaster pulls...depends how they take the glass off too...we had a very good tiler

• Bryan Saunders
    4 years ago

Hi Houzz, you should include large format porcelain as an option for use, great product easy to install and clean

• geckostrands
    4 years ago

Stainless steel throughout has worked well when you cook a lot

• HU-995300078
    4 years ago

I am amazed at the number of respondents who opt for glass, my experience with glass as a splashback is that it quickly shows the dirt. Stainless steel is fine but scratches and is a bit commercial. Granite matching the bench top is probably the best choice.

Richard Blake

• chucky64
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Sheila Smart - did you have your photo printed on glass or did you enlarge it and stick it to the wall adding the glass afterwards.
    By the way it’s beautiful
  • 3132design
    4 years ago

We had a guy who printed posters print the photo and stick it on the glass for us (to make sure there were no air bubbles). He delivered it to the glazier who was installing the splashback. There was so much interest as it sat in the showroom, the glazier then started offering glass with pictures actually printed onto them... If your wall was smooth, you could put the 'poster' print onto ther wall as another option.

• linaath2000
    4 years ago

I hate subway tiles. Had them for a few years until I got very frustrated with cleaning the grout. They have now been replaced with a glass splashback, and couldn't be happier.

• Elly Ozols
    4 years ago

Like glass, easy to clean, but also easy to see smudges. That’s why I love my slump glass splash back that helps hide these.