Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline_french8393

What do you think of our reno plans?

Jacqueline French
5 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are getting closer to finalising our plans before we meet with council and present them to the neighbours
We have 3 girls (8, 7 and 4) who will be upstairs but we have kept 2 options for a master bedroom as we prefer downstairs but the upstairs room has water glimpses and beautiful afternoon sun.
The laundry/mud room is compromised but I plan on having it hidden behind a wall of cabinets.

I would love your feedback on anything that wouldn’t work for you in what we have designed.
Thanks!

Comments (47)

• oklouise
    5 years ago

why have the external laundry entry? if you can't walk through the laundry and pantry to the kitchen it's more direct to walk in the front door and through the dining room to the kitchen with kids and groceries, the side garden feels too narrow for a carport with walkway beside a car with open doors so why not enter through the front door and have no external door into the laundry

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Is the garage a single, a 4 bedroom house should have a double garage and I don't suggest a tandem. As above can't figure the laundry position and entrances

• Related Discussions

What do you think of our dream-home plans?

Q

Comments (57)
    Hey Nik Star, I've had a PowerPoint play with oklouise's edits. This is what I meant about garage entry to the pantry and a laundry in the garage. The red arrows are to stipulate to the builder that level access is required. I added extra garage depth to allow for the garage, that would definitely impact your facade elevation. If you remove the wall between the butler's pantry and mudroom you would have a SUPER PANTRY! But a true butler's pantry in that it was supposed to be where you would land with the veg from the garden so you would kick your shoes off inside the door, so I've noted a little bench seat there, then head in and wash it before heading over to the actual cooking area. Then if you get rid of the sliders and reduce the storage to shallow shelving on the middle wall you would have plenty of space to manoeuvre with mobility devices. For the washing labour machines - washer, dryer, dishy - try getting those mounted on plinths so the load on your poor back is reduced. I have dodgy joints so I am researching all the ergonomic ways to design work spaces to help me when I get to the awesome stage you guys are at with getting to build!
    ...See More

What do you think of this floor plan for a new build?

Q

Comments (103)
    When I first wrote in August 2017 we got a lot of great suggestions and comments. At the time we had accepted the limitations of the block (easements, tree, solar access etc). It is now one year later and I can tell you we found a way to move the garage to the south-west corner. This allowed us to move Beds 2 and 3 and the bathroom to the northern side. Pantry and laundry between garage and kitchen/living/dining. I think it was all of the comments and suggestions that encouraged us to look at it again from different angles, rather than just accepting the limitations. Thanks to everyone for their generosity! The solution involved working around a lovely tree (it is nice, just in the wrong spot). It is still in the way (council said we couldn't remove it) but we've opted for a long, curving driveway that starts on the other side of the block and weaves its way around the treeline to the garage entry. Not ideal, because a large portion of the front setback will now be a hard surface, instead of a garden. But if there is one thing that designing teaches you - its all about compromises. Thanks everyone. MB Design & Drafting Shara C Nik Star girlguides oklouise siriuskey genkii saragraham76 Andy Pat brizcs Mel N 3D Home Concepts suancol Caro
    ...See More

What do you think of our house plans?

Q

Comments (30)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots to learn and so much to consider. I ended up doing more research to decide sizes for built in and walk in robes. We decided to keep one of the bedrooms at the front of the house to be used as my husbands work space. We have 2 kids and get interstate visitors often which is why we initially wanted a study plus 4 bedrooms. But I like the idea of a living space to break up the hallway a bit and to let some light in. I know we have to think about the northern light for the front room, but my husband works in there every day so I think it works better energy-wise. We moved the guest bathroom closer to living space as per oklouise’s plans (so helpful!!) and did a similar configuration. I think it’s nice for entertaining for guests to have easy access and not to have to walk past bedrooms to use the bathroom. With the reconfiguration and the extra length we added to the family/meals area. I think it’s looking like a pretty good sized area without going over our budget. The kitchen also no longer faces the hallway which is so much nicer I’ve attached our updated plans
    ...See More

What do you think of our bathroom and kitchen ideas?

Q

Comments (24)
    And to answer your question siriuskey. Yes the front room has been opened out into a verendah. This room got really hot in summer so wasn’t working as another living space. We’re restricted to what we can change at the front of the house as we are in a heritage area. We can make changes without a DA if we don’t change the front of the house. Agree we can change a lot with a wooden house, but I think we’ll be restricted on reusing windows. All our casement windows are original glass from the 1930s so won’t be to modern building code. If we move them, they’re gone. However replacing with modern glass would bring more light into the home. We’ve put fans in all rooms and always have the French doors open in bed 2 so light and ventilation haven’t been an issue. Might become so if we put a moody teenager in there though!
    ...See More
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @oklouise... good point. It’s on my list of unsure. We are likely going to need to have the clothesline on the right side (dead side) of the house (I hate using a dryer) so I felt it was easy access however now I think perhaps better to square off.
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks @siruskey... ideally yes however where we live it’s common in old houses not to have a garage at all. So we would prefer to go double length as we would lose all of our outdoor sunlight due to the orientation of the house and all of our neighbours enormous trees!
    We actually intend to use the garage as a kids playroom and just section of some storage as we have never had one before!
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Perhaps the reason for old houses not having garages was perhaps a lack of cars.

One of the best things we did to our Federation house was to add an attached double garage, I think it's even more important these days for security in our cities.

There wasn't any aspect shown, or I just simply missed it?

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

I would add a door from laundry to pantry. Aside from that level 1 is a very good layout.

However on level 2 I would rework the front bedrooms. I reckon you could another bedroom in there by losing the WIR (has dual access which I'd remove either way). The front space is a little bit unusable anyway unless it was used as a reading area/study spot, etc. Again aside from that its a pretty good layout.

I'm guessing its a sizeable budget too, theres a lot going on as well as being an older dwelling they usually have a couple hidden problems.... Exciting project hope it works out well with council.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Will you be parking your car on the side/back of property, and think you will be using the back entry regularly, not the front door?
    I would Square off the laundry/front wall, and use that area to left of front door as your clothes line area. Installing a fence from front of building to left hand fence.
    I remember your home from a while ago. A beautiful brick home, with the enclosed upstairs balcony. I like the way you have incorporated this into the front bedroom. Personally I would make the back right hand bedroom and existing bathroom into a large, multifunctional bathroom, powder room area. You can be upstairs while the children are young, sharing the bathroom, then move down stairs when the youngest is say 8 years old, and then they can have the upstairs space. Really, how often at the moment would you have time to sit and take in the views on offer? And sunset is usually when we are preparing dinner etc. or you will be downstairs anyway enjoying your pool area. This would save some funds on having to install two brand new bathrooms. All the best.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Just had another quick look and even though you mentioned the kids using the garage as a play room,

Did you consider a double garage in the front yard allowing more rear yard and pool space, you could add a small pool house with a bathroom, this could become guest accommodation when needed

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Having the garage at the front of the house would make better sense of the drying court, Laundry, Mudroom with access via the WIP to the kitchen in your plan. You could set the garage back giving access to this. At the moment the front yard is mostly paving so I could see the garage with paving and garden with an auto mated sliding gate and fence

• Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks Siruskey... whilst great ideas there is no way we will get away with a double garage in the front yard as we have a heritage overlay and can’t even change our front fence.

We are trying to keep some of the traditional features of the home including the fireplace in the dining room and a leadlight window near the entrance. I’ll add some pics to show you my inspiration.

I anticipate we will be parking in our front driveway and once
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    we have the wrap around driveway out to the laneway as I hate reversing out the front gate as we are on a busy beach rd , we don’t necessarily need the car space near the laundry although I do keep in mind that if this is our forever home, the ability to park many cars in the front will be handy when kids are driving as out front is a clear way at times
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    These are some our our pics for inspo
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

Along with the fireplace I hope you are keeping other features from the period of the house.

One other thing that worries me about the master suite, why do the Ensuite and WIR back onto the pool and Bed is in a big space with a small window, very closed in. I would much prefer to have the bed positioned next to the pool with a view to it. You might say that you plan that wall as a feature, for me any feature would be the long wall that you would see from the Alfresco and family area plus from the new master bed placement.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

You could also fit a study space within the large bedroom space, as I don't see any downstairs designated study/computer space

• Kate
    4 years ago
    Hi. Powder room seems to be missing a basin. Do you have one incorporated in toilet cistern? Could you move the doorway out and then swing door inward into toilet and maybe get a narrow basin in? Not much pt of toilet without a basin
    Upstairs master. Would it be better to swap bed and WIR location. ?
    Good luck
  • dreamer
    4 years ago
    As this is a brick wall home, brick internal walls as well as external, my suggestion would be to leave the upstairs walls as is.
    Working with the structure and adapting it where necessary. Downstairs I would treat in the same manner. So I think your plans are good, my only change would be, as I have mentioned previously, only having one large multifunctional bathroom upstairs. Oklouise has drawn a wonderful example of this. But I would leave all other bedroom brick walls in their original position. Maybe even reinstate the upstairs balcony.
  • oklouise
    4 years ago

previously overlooked it appears that there's a narrow lightwell/courtyard? outside the ens and master bedroom and i would include highlight or tall very narrow windows in the ens and wiw for light and ventilation with privacy and also rearrange the toilet out of sight of the open door, having the biw on the stair side and reversing the layout allows a much more spacious feeling with easier access around the room and careful choice of fixtures and an outward opening door should allow a comfortable powder room under the stairs and by enclosing the laundry fixtures behind doors there space for a study or MPR in the laundry space and i've restored the fireplace and side doors in the dining rooms

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

I would love your feedback on anything that wouldn’t work for you in what we have designed.

The things that stand out to me are the downstairs Master suite, wrongly positioned/layout, and will be quite a dark room with the only real light coming from a window which faces a brick wall which is approx 1 mt from the window?

The current door into the master is compromised by the outward opening powder room door and the stairs all clustered together.

Without drawing the floorplan,(can't read all required measurements) a rough sketch to show my concerns and repositioning the powder room, I still think it needs a lot more adjustment.

. I wouldn't be happy with the downstairs Master layout with it's lack of light and missing out on possible views to the pool

The dining room, if you think about how little light comes into that space, maybe the repositioning of the powder room will help a bit in the central dining room, the fire place is great but will also block light into the center of the house

• Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback... just trying to take it on board and think about how we can work it...

I agree we will scrap the door to the laundry and try & repurpose it into a study/laundry(behind doors)

The powder room under the stairs will work as the current door opens in (hadn’t picked up the error) and there is plenty of space for a toilet and hand basin.

What to do with the master downstairs.... I agree a pool outlook would be lovely and more natural light. We have just been trying to work with the existing walls/structure to avoid budget blowout.

I do really like oklouise upstairs layout but again it’s removing a lot of double brick walls around what likely is an enclosed balcony and it then removes the possibility of a master upstairs. (which we are currently in and I love) Given we haven’t stayed in a house longer than 5 years whilst I’m hopeful we will here I think for resale having a master upstairs is valuable for those with less kids or older couples (like our next door neighbours with near identical original layout)
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Upstairs master
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Powder room near stairs
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Current kitchen - to be downstairs master
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Current front lounge...
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

Love the photos gives a lot of insight, the powder room under the stairs fits so pleased to see the door opening in. We have a 70's house nearby which had the living & bedrooms up stairs, down stairs had entrance with direct staircase to the upstairs living this first floor had a rumpus, kitchenette and a wonderful large bedroom with ensuite. This was for when the elderly owners needed to move away from using the stairs, but this beautiful bedroom didn't have a lot of natural light so they sold and moved to a single story. Which way does the front of the house face

• Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Front of house is South, SW but our neighbours have pretty much shaded most of our afternoon sun to the backyard with their trees and they have a similar sized house to the west
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

I also feel sad that the character window in the existing dining is being sacrificed for a WIP and Laundry, could this have been worked around with a different extension. Perhaps the dining Kitchen meals opened up to each other and the Master behind the dining. The fireplace would then become part of the family kitchen dining. The pool could be relocated along the wall of the garage?

I am aware that there may be some load bearing situations involved which can be resolved by a professional engineer. We did similar in our Federation house in Sydney which allowed us to open up 3 rooms to form a large family kitchen over looking the pool and then to add two bedrooms and a study in the attic for our teenage kids, the bathroom was in the space at the bottom of the stairs which kept using their bathroom private.

• dreamer
    4 years ago
    Jacqueline, I'm assuming your knees still work properly and climbing stairs in not painful. And you have young children, so all bedrooms being upstairs is a positive. But, if this is your long term house, in 10 years time, you may decide that downstairs master is the better arrangement. Teenagers would love the space upstairs for themselves. So if you can accommodate both scenarios without knocking down internal brick walls, then that is the best outcome. We built our home with the master downstairs. Now our young adults 19 and 22, are flying the coup. So we are basically living in a big one bedroom home. We don't need to climb those stairs, and have all we require downstairs. But, the rooms upstairs are available when required.
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks Siruskey & Dreamer
    We explored those options with our designer early on in the process and now 9 months later we decided that it was ok to lose that 1 window if we were able to maintain all the rest... we even considered reusing that window in the master but my husband wanted the door out to the small courtyard/lightwell (which I don’t think we will use but I need to let him win some )
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

The dining room has beautiful period features what a shame, I think it's important to try and keep these in the original part of the house., you can't buy this in newer homes.

Anyway without having the convenience of sitting down with you and running through and changing ideas, this is the best we can do and maybe somewhere it will trigger a new thought

• PRO
    Eco Building Services
    4 years ago

Hello Jacqueline, the plans look brilliant and there is some A grade information coming from the designers above. Just wondering if you have had an estimate completed on your project yet? The reason i ask is many people go through the process of getting plans completed, then they get engineering and councils completed but have trouble finding a builder to come in on budget. We have far more success with our clients using a collaborative process where we complete an estimate prior to going to construction drawings and engineering. this process has saved our clients thousands of dollars. We have written a short article explaining the process and you can use it with any builder you choose - https://www.ecobuildingservices.com.au/brisbane-custom-homes/

Good luck with your project!

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Just another point, the master bedroom will be dark, I was wondering how high the boundary wall is and if you could possibly use a long high light window on the wall parallel to it with no door

The door being close to the road may be a possible easy point of access for uninvited guests, the wall would give them privacy.

The bed should also be on that wall, not at the entrance, cheers

• oklouise
    4 years ago

i have to say i prefer the more private master bedroom with the small window overlooking the tiny courtyard and tall slit windows from the ens and wiw out to the pool but it would be great to be able to save the gorgeous dining room window and i'm wondering if the laundry room were constructed like a traditional conservatory with tiled floor, skylight and access through the entry foyer you could have a bright view of hanging ferns? instead of a blank wall but, as the window will likely impact on the location of the pantry, a "bay window" extension to the kitchen would allow for a more open pantry and longer island

• Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks Oklouise... the open conservatory not exactly my style but changing that entrance to the laundry to the window in the entry could work (as it is quite damaged anyway)

Then I could keep the dining window and have a open lightwell and have a cavity slider joining the pantry to the laundry and could possibly avoid having laundry behind doors and use the front room as a study/storage for school bags & kids sport equipment.

Now I just need to convince my husband who is sick of me changing my mind!
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    This is the window I’d be losing but as the extension is to be quite modern we would love to have a window at the front of the house like this so our dog could watch the world go by...
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks @Ecobuildingservices for the link.

Budget is always such a scary topic and its really important we also don’t overcapitalise. Fortunately we have a couple of renovations under our belt now and a good relationship with our builder.

Once I’m happy with the plans we will price up as accurately as possible, visit the bank and stage the project if necessary ie essential joinery only and can even delay the garage/studio. That’s why I’m reluctant to change too much of the existing building as that’s when a lot of unknown entities can come into play.
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

Sorry but I have just been playing with your plan, again and offer the following ideas

The Master bedroom worries me and it's darkness, so I suggest that the WIR becomes the study with a tall window over looking the pool and allowing light back into the bedroom, while keeping an eye on the pool

The tall window in the bedroom, I think you are lining up with one on the first floor, if not I would move it across into the corner to allow more space for the bed, then adding lovely robes into the bedroom. You could also consider large sliding doors instead of the window that would open into the narrow courtyard, and adding a large door on the end of the court or just wall it up

The kitchen, it looks like there's only 1 m allowance on all sides of the island, this would be better up to 1.2 m for a large family home.

The fridge space also looks to be around 900? which is small and if only allowing 1 M between it and the bench, very cramped. I have taken out the sliding door between the kitchen and pantry and turned the fridge into the Pantry, this would suit a pair of fridge freezers.

A door way through to the laundry which has an accessible light well to the dining window.

If you don't want to keep the dining window insitu you could consider using it on the front wall of the laundry along with a door out to a drying court., have you planned for a laundry chute? The laundry is also a mudroom for kids coming home from school

My rough sketch follows, baby sitting at the moment.

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    4 years ago

Appreciated am coming in late to this conversation, but generally the ideas are there, but I'd be playing with it a bit more.......there are 2 big ones for me here. Firstly missing the opportunity with the master suite. The whole thing should arguably be flipped so the bedroom space is to the rear/outlook to the pool and the bathroom/robe amenity internalised. If you're going that far with extension works arguably a bit of structure/engineering implemented to support the upper level is worth the investment to get the layout working. Design decisions should always be driven from the experience of the space. and 2. Not that convinced about the flow from entry to main living through an internalised dining space. Its like the kitchen/living/dining relationship is similarly not functionally balanced,. It's like the dining should be aligned with the kitchen space and living then separated....How exactly is that living space intended to be furnished?? At this design stage furniture should always be on the plan. You have to design from the inside out, make it work functionally and then deal with the walls/windows/doors etc last

What's you're budget? Has your design given you projected costings on this? You want to make sure you don't need up with a conservative design solution that ends up costing you more than you wanted, and you then spend the money anyway but miss the opportunity for a much better resolved, higher value option than makes sense spatially for the way the house will be used and experienced.

Best of luck PD :)

www.pauldistefanodesign.com

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Couldn't agree more, the master suite is compromised by the need for the "Studio/Garage" it would be a mistake to proceed with the current floor plan

• Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank Paul, feedback taken on board...
    Budget at this stage is 500k which will be tight and may result in us having to stage things or take our time to receive a finished product. For this reason we been reluctant to make too many larger structural changes but agree the master suite is compromised and would be better flipped if we can make it work.
    My husband will likely project manage our build with our builder taking us to lock up.

I feel comfortable with the decision to have the dining room as our thoroughfare as we currently don’t have one! And when we did it was only needed when my extended family joined us for dinner. Instead we will have a dining island and also a connected alfresco space.

Appreciate all the comments
  • Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Kitchen inspo
  • Sophie C.
    4 years ago
    Jacqueline the suggestion of an upstairs living room sounds like a great idea if you have water glimpses. Everyone will be able to enjoy them that way & you could use the space as the kids play area & study space
  • josey griffin
    4 years ago
    I would really think about the living area at the front of the house. You will need to furnish it, but it will rarely be used. We removed that area when building, and incorporated it all so it’s open plan. Better, and cheaper. Maybe move the main bedroom up to the front, and use the extra space for living area near kitchen. I think you will enjoy that space more as we do.
    Also the laundry seems odd, with the entrance. Why not incorporate laundry and bathroom together. It is only a spare bathroom. Save you space, and costs. You will find that it won’t get used as a bathroom much, so the cost won’t be worth it. Just what I think, when we built, I wanted to make sure no space was wasted.
  • josey griffin
    4 years ago
    Sorry made a mistake. It’s your butlers kitchen then laundry, not a bathroom. I would still incorporate the two together, with a powder room. No entrance from dining area. Move main bedroom up to front room, lovely bay window, move stairs to open plan living area, especially if you have a pool. Sorry, I don’t think the current plan is going to work, in an efficient way, and it’s going to cost you more to build, and to service. With three girls, make your living area bigger, you will use it more, much more, by removing the front living area you will also remove the wasted nook space near the front door. Hope it gets you thinking.
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

I have been thinking about your floor plan and trying to maintain external walls.

The dining room and fireplace could be used in a better way, so I have split it with a passageway with a large full height window looking into an internal courtyard in the wall where the original window is.

The WIP pantry is more open to the kitchen

The master suite, you enter via the large WIR, the ensuite could possibly fit between the external wall and the newer boundary wall.? or not, so could be built up against the internal wall allowing for access into the sleeping zone

The Bed over looks the pool with large sliding doors secured with a glass Juliet balcony.

The laundry mudroom WIP could all have slopping glass conservatory style ceilings, you could even consider this for the kitchen to reduce the overshadowing of the neighbours.

It's not to scale just some ideas for you to consider.I

• Jacqueline French
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks Josey, we explored moving the master into the front room however decided that as we were not having an upstairs living room the space will be used. It’s our current living room and has beautiful sunsets so I suspect my husband will often sneak off and watch the footy here!
    Thanks Siriuskey, I also looked at this option for the master but the current space does not accommodate our king sized bed and beside tables. I don’t want to enlarge the space to encroach on the pool or open plan living/kitchen which doesn’t really have the span to comfortably fit a dining table, which is why I have left the dining in the thoroughfare.
    I think we may add a nice big window/door to the WIR onto the pool and open up the existing window in the bedroom.
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

Remember that a large window between the pool and WIR is a two way street, when you are in the pool it wouldn't a be good a view. Perhaps you should just move the pool and these issues would be resolved. Make the studio/garage shorter, stepped back so a gate could enter at a right angle to it.