Houzz Logo Print
thekipobros

Design Advice for first home new build

Api Ipo
5 years ago

Hi Houzzers, I wanted to get some advice on my custom floor plan. We picked this corner block for its orientation, it is north facing, and that particular side of the house is the corner side so no neighbours. These plans are not final so we do have time to make some changes.

Things to note,

1. You can't see it on the plan but there is going to be central opening sliding doors by the alfresco.

2. The western window in the family area will be LowE glass. I wanted a window there just to keep an eye on the kids swimming if I was reading a book in that area.

3. We are pretty much on maximum for all sides of the home so we can't really make the house any bigger.

4. Just if your wondering, the space directly opposite the entry into the home via the garage is a mini mudroom.

5. Things we have already planned to change is putting more space in the kitchen between the island. The actual space will be 1300mm. We are swapping the Dish washer to the otherside in the pantry as where it is now is right in the walkthrough, so would cause some traffic problems. I've also increased size of the fridge space so it won't protrude out.

My concerns,

1. The area marked storage is indeed my Theatre room. It will connect direct to my office and there is a purpose for this. I work as a filmmaker so if I want to show a client a video I can bounce it from the office to the media and also have that direct access. Main trouble in this space is that it's not as big as I would have liked and apparently I can't mess with the garage to create room and the kids rooms are pretty small as they are and I don't want to make squeeze there. All thoughts would be welcome!

Other then this one concern we are pretty happy with the plan. wanted to get some thoughts from you guys and maybe how we can make it better!

We are building in Ipswich, Qld, and my goal has been to build a solar passive house, try my best on our very limited budget to make it cooler in summer with the need for mechanical cooling. We have stacked up the insulation in the roof, Anticon with R3.5 batts. Exterior walls R2.5. Fans in every room. Hoping to have minimal draughts through out and the pool is for the kids while they are young. Can we do better? Any thoughts would be great! The house is a steel framed, pitched roof, brick veneer home, pretty standard here in Qld.

Thanks guys, Lok forward to your thoughts and any and all recommendations.

cheers

Comments (35)