Houzz Logo Print
webuser_448978831

Looking for help with a Kitchen renovation layout design please

D Y
4 years ago

We are looking to renovate our kitchen but are struggling with layout ideas. It is a small space and we want to make it bigger, more open plan onto the dining area as well as adding a Butlers Pantry if possible. Also on the bosses wish list is an Island Bench.

Currently it is a small U shape kitchen ~2.7m x 2.6m. There is a breakfast bar on one side that opens to an area that is being used as an Office which is ~3.3m x 2.6m. This area is accessed via the entry hall. We are OK to lose this office space and were thinking about closing off the opening from the entry hall. We would move the laundry into this area which you would then be accessed from the kitchen through a butlers pantry. Not sure though if its a bit weird to have the laundry at the very front of the house?!?!

On the opposite side of the kitchen is the current Laundry room, which is ~1.6m x 2.6m. The plan is to remove the wall between the kitchen and laundry to widen and open the kitchen up more. We haven't had an engineer in yet but we likely believe the wall is structural so there will be some work and cost in removing it but feel it needs to go to give us the extra space we are looking for.

We have come up with a possible design (below) but the positioning of the sink, fridge and oven in the kitchen all remain in the same layout so my concern is that it may feel like the same kitchen, just slighter wider with an island bench in the middle.

I do also have a slight concern about the size of the butlers pantry and laundry, things seem to fit on the plan but I'm unsure as to if the space is too small or not. Another thing I am questioning is whether the extra width and layout gives us enough room to have an Island Bench. I feel the bench can only be 1.35m wide to give the clearance either side to get past. I had suggested a Peninsula Bench but this was quickly vetoed.

It would be great is if others could comment on the plan we have come up with and the size of the areas. We are of course also open to suggestions or comments on other possible layouts or designs?

On that note, we are trying to watch costs where we can (the wall removal will likely cost enough!!) so if possible we want to keep the existing windows and the door off the laundry where they are. It will be difficult to relocate the laundry door to its new location as along the outside wall from the front corner of the house there is the fuse box, then a fence, then the only entry point to under the house, then a hot water cylinder and then the ducted heater unit which is installed underneath the current kitchen window. So if we were to move the door we would have to relocate whatever was in the way.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (26)