Houzz Logo Print
susan_clark2415

Thermally efficient window coverings... attractive and affordable?

Susan Clark
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are building in the Southern Highlands, NSW, with a large amount of glass to the east, to capture pleasant views and maximise light in the main living areas of the house. We will have (relatively) few windows on the western side to avoid summer heat. Most of our windows will be 2 or 3 panel sliders, all double glazed. In our lounge/dining/kitchen area this will be basically most of the usable wall space. My question is, has anyone found a reasonably affordable, thermally efficient window covering for such a large expanse? We are aware that even double glazed glass is thermally inefficient, and don't want to spend our retirement funds paying for winter heating.

In our current home we have used Lincraft blockout 'ready-mades', which I carefully stitched together and adjusted the hem on to produce good looking large curtains that provide the needed close fit. We had Lincraft install good quality curtain rails and closed pelmets. But we have more wall space in this house, and I was able to have the curtain rods extend well past the windows, so that the windows themselves are free of curtains when they are open. I won't have that space in the new house.

I don't particularly love the look of curtains, so am happy to consider blinds etc, but can't imagine how blinds can provide the needed thermal 'seal'.

Any ideas or experiences?

The photo isn't our house, but shows the kind of glass set up we will have. We will have a half-raked ceiling extending to 4m high where the lounge and dining areas meet the kitchen. Glass windows/doors will be as high as we can get without spending silly money... Quantum Trend range.

Thanks

Susan

Comments (5)