Houzz Logo Print
cy_wy

I'm a renter, how can I get my full bond refund?

Cy Wy
4 years ago

Hi, Just wondering has anyone ever rented property and have had a very difficult time getting their bond back from the agent despite getting the place properly cleaned?

The property was not in a bad condition and was cleaned by professional cleaners. I was there as they cleaned the whole time, so knows that they didn't slack off and also inspected ourselves at the end and seem fine.

But the agent came back with a list of very insignificant things (in our honest opinion, although we could be bias), the most ridiculous ones were (few dots of) water marks from the laundry sink or very small streaks from extremely small inconspicuous areas (a 1cm-2cm'ish chrome area underneath the range hood). Whilst other items maybe valid like... "there were dust on the bottom metal bits of the roller blind", but overall we still honestly think it would still fall under the clause of "Reasonably clean subject to wear and tear". They even want us to clean the inside of the ceiling light cover? (which is about 3 meters in height. It just seems rather unfair to us.)

I honestly don't think its the cleaner's fault, as in my view they have been more helpful than the real estate agent. Or is it just me overly bias and upset towards the agent?

Just wondering has anyone else encounter something similar? And were you able to get your bond back? How did you manage the situation? What can a renter do to get their full bond refunded?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading/commenting.

Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

Many thanks

Comments (3)