Houzz Logo Print
webuser_865061651

Flooring Options - Help Please!

Tee
4 years ago

We're planning an extension for our home and currently trying to navigate our way through the different flooring options available...

About the extension:

- House located in Melbourne, Victoria

- Extension includes kitchen, dining, entrance hallway and living areas

- Open plan area will be facing north

- House is set on stumps

About us:

- We have a maltese puppy and may be planning to add another to the pack

- My partner and I are planning to have kids in the near future

- We're trying to complete the extension on a budget as it's not our forever home

- We want the floor to fit the new modern extension, and create an open sense of space in the open plan area (approx. 10 x 10, excl. hallway).

I've spoken to a few flooring stores and have been suggested laminate, hybrid vinyls, looselay vinyl planks and on the odd occasion, engineered floorboards.

By process of elimination, I've dismissed:

i) timber floorboards - more expensive, not our forever home, we own a pet and planning to have kids

ii) vinyl looselay planks - may require additional underlay which adds to overall cost and by my maths exceeds the cost of the hybrid vinyl option (which i kind of prefer the feel under feet)

iii) laminate - don't prefer the feel and sound of it under feet

iv) cork - unfamiliar and no experience

So I'm kind of left tossing between engineered floorboards (budget range) and hybrid vinyl (karndean range potentially). But before I make up my mind, I just wanted to cast the net out and welcome any suggestions, reviews, and opinions about the different types of flooring.

Thank you!

Comments (6)