anna_jessep

What should I plant along this fenceline?

Anna Jessep
July 15, 2019
last modified: July 15, 2019

I would like to plant some trees along this fenceline to create some "sense"of privacy. They don't need to be really tall, but that is okay too, what is most important to me is growth rate (and affordability). First pic is for perspective - there are tall trees about ... The fence line is behind the rotunda to the right.

• julie herbert

Hi Anna, any of the viburnums would look fabulous , the ‘Crimson Sentry’ Maple would blend in beautifully with the fringe flower, Lilly pilly is always good, even one of the lipstick maples Acer rubrun ‘scanlon’would look stunning .

Anna Jessep thanked julie herbert
  • Anna Jessep

Have added another photo that didn’t upload in original post. The fence line is right and to the other garden I was working on

I love flowering natives and you are so lucky to have space to plant. I’d suggest two or three varieties with a staggered planting so you have privacy at all heights. The Gardening with Angus site has a great plant selector so you can enter details of your area. Many natives come in tubestock (google for suppliers) at about $6 bucks a tube and in a couple of years that catch up and thrive better than bigger plants from nurseries. Some inspo pics from my favourites.

Anna Jessep thanked bigreader
  • kbodman14

Where are you? It will depend on your climate and rainfall.

Anna Jessep thanked kbodman14
  • Anna Jessep

Adelaide Hills. Plenty of rain during winter and gets Shen to 2C but gets up to 38 sometimes in summer.

• kbodman14

I would go to the State Fora Nursery and seek advice for you situation, especially for fire resistance. The are some spectacular natives for your areas, both from leaf form eg woolly bush to flowering banksia. You may be able to get tube stock at a couple of dollars each, which is the best way to start a living fence. You may need to water just the first summer, then they look after themselves. Best of luck.

Anna Jessep thanked kbodman14
  • Anna Jessep

Thanks so much kbod... I will actually be in Belair (where State Flora is) today so your advice couldn't have came sooner. Will let you know how I get on.

• Anna Jessep

3x Golden Hinterland Lillly Pilly it is! And purchased from State Flora Nursery which I've always been meaning to visit. They didn't have tube stock, well not for type of tree I was in need of. THANKS SO MUCH Julie and kbod ...

• Anna Jessep

@bigreader thanks also. I just came across Angus' site tonight.

FYI the man at the nursery also suggested I do "succession planting" (assuming that's what you mean) i.e. put the lilly pillys at the back and put a row of ?cant remember the plant he suggested? in front that grows more quickly than the Lilly Pilly so will provide screening in quick time up to 2 metres whilst waiting for the Lilly Pilly to grow. I opted out of because really I want the screening to create/fill in the border around the property - the reality is that the trees won't really act as screening much at all for many years (the trees need to get quite tall!) as the house up the back is UP THE HILL so unless they come DOWN their backyard (which they rarely do) the screening is not really blocking any views into my backyard.

• kbodman14

Pleased that you found some plants. Lilly Pillys are great for the wildlife, look great and great screening. I have a street lined with Lilly Pillys, at 5 metres after 10 years. Best of luck

Anna Jessep thanked kbodman14