Houzz Logo Print
webuser_742971303

Failed Basix due to large windows

Tan Ruth
4 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the Basix Thermal Comfort score without reducing window sizes?

My architect has come up with a design I love but we keeping failing Basix due to the heating load. The only real suggestion the assessor has given us is to reduce the size and number of windows but they are what I love about the design. The house is north facing, set on 100 acres and has beautiful views. The design currently has about 50% glazing and the assessor would like it to get to under 30%. Apparently, even though the windows are north facing in a moderate climate (near Sydney) we will lose too much heat through the windows.

We've already reduced the window sizes a bit and dont want to lose any more of the view. Are there other ways to improve the Thermal Comfort of the house (particularly with regards to heating load)?

We've already included thermally broken double glazing, insulation etc. Once we move in we'll have thermal curtains and blinds but that isnt taken into account for Basix.

Comments (18)