Houzz Logo Print
matttho

Mix your own paint colour? Thoughts....

Littlethommo
4 years ago

We have added a large extension onto the back of our original heritage home and we have opted to paint inside and ouside ourselves. We are now at the painting stage and had selected our paint colours which work perfectly with both the original house and the new extension - however to find the right strength I mixed the colour with a white paint myself. The paint colour sample pot I had was Dulux White Duck half strength, I have mixed this to quarter (kitchen, hallways, living and dining) and eighth strength (bedrooms and bathroom). Thinking I had the perfect colours I went to the hardware and bought eigth strength so we could paint the new bathrooms walls. Heres where the problem begins - bought the paint home and started cutting in but the colour was much more beige/yellow than my mix (I mixed it with Dulux Lexicon quarter which is a cool grey white). Went back to the hardware and had it re-tinted with more black, taking with me a sample piece of my mix which they tried to match with the scanner and at the time seemed to match well, but took it home again and still much too yellow compared to my mix. I have created the perfect 'Greige' colour for my home but cannot seem to get it. I have purchased more sample pots of different colours but they are either too beige or too grey. My question is has anyone created their own paint colour and successfully mixed it themselves? Or is it to difficult to achieve the correct ratio and its better compromising with a colour you dont like quite so much?

Comments (5)