Houzz Logo Print
tmdang

Where to start with planning a 10acre property

T Whit
4 years ago

We have just purchased a block of land we think is perfect. I need advice on where to start with planning a property from scratch. Its 10acres, sloping and rocky under the surface. We have great views to be taken advantage of and very few restrictions on what can be done on the block.

We aren't in a rush to build so have time to plan properly, hoping to be living there within 2-3 years. We have done an extensive reno on our current house and enjoyed the process and know we want to be hands on.

Where do we start. Is it with a detailed survey, Is an Architect or Builder the best place to start? Id like to know the best places to put buildings to maximize views and find out our options in term of building on the slope that works with the land. We have beautiful big trees and permanent creek that we want to look after.

We also need help deciding what is viable financially and practically possible on our site. We have never built a house and we have lots of ideas. So before I get carried away getting all Grand Designs in my head please help point us in the right direction.

Thanks

Comments (9)