Houzz Logo Print
lorena_chiappara49

Help with exterior colors to minimize size please.

Lorena Chiappara
4 years ago

Hi there,

I am new to Houzz and have been following your posts and the

great advice.

I am wanting to start a full Reno on this home on the Gold Coast. The intention is to sell it next year.

We owner-built in 1986 on a beautiful but steep street with amazing views to the ocean, and the lake at the bottom of the street. The build is split level and double brick construction on the ground floor and brick veneer on top.

It is now the ugliest house in the street and desperately needs a facelift to start with, plus a full cosmetic Reno internally once the exterior is done. It is actually two very large units under one roof - dual living.

I would like to render the house - hopefully the whole thing, but depending on cost possibly just the front and eastern aspect and then paint the bricks on the other two sides. With so much to be done cost is an issue.

I am trying to work out which colors to use externally- to highlight the roof gables etc, and minimize the ugly front facade... plus minimize the height overall.

The front door is on the side - up the stairs which need to be redone and widened to balance out the perspective with the huge balcony alongside. I would also like to minimize the supports for the balcony and the ugly underside of the verandah- possibly cladding or timber screening.

I am about to start with the roof- a clean, repairs and paint. As you can see from the plans it has multiple roof pitches and gables.

I would like to visually minimize the overall height and was thinking of painting the roof, and the bottom half of the front facade including the garage doors, a dark colour, but being on the Gold Coast in Qld we have issues with heat. Does any one have any suggestions and specific colors I could use?

I would be so very grateful for any suggestions on how to turn this ugly duckling into a beauty.

Thank you in advance :D

Comments (9)