Houzz Logo Print
toenut

ballpark budget for raising a Queenslander?

toenut
4 years ago
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I know this is the renovating equivalent of a length of string so please don’t blast me for asking...
I’m interested in whether people think a budget of $250k is realistic for our renovations.

We have a lovely 3 bed 1 bathroom double gabled Queenslander cottage with plenty of storage and a laundry under - just not quite legal height.

We really like the area and have been searching for something locally that’s a bit bigger to fit our growing, nearly teenage boys.
Can’t find anything suitable so we’re considering raising and building in under.

We would be keeping our existing kitchen that goes out to the back deck as it’s perfect as is, and rearranging walls upstairs to make upstairs mostly living with maybe one bedroom and the existing bathroom.
Downstairs would be 3 bedrooms plus laundry and bathroom (in same place as current laundry so plumbing should be fairly straightforward), a second living area and plenty of storage.

We don’t think we need to extend the footprint of the house and it’s a pretty level block.

We think spending more than $250k would be over capitalising. We would want mid range finishes.

I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth spending a couple of thousand dollars on design - not worth it if we couldn’t create the house we want on our budget.

Any experience/advice??

Thanks

Comments (5)