Houzz Logo Print
tongaface__

Positioning of Patio Help

tongaface .
4 years ago

Hi all,

I was wondering everyone's opinion on the positioning of a patio i am looking to get built (a simple steel gable extension from the existing roof).

I originally planned for the patio to be in the right hand corner of the back yard if coming out of the house (Option A) however i was told by one of the companies that came to quote me that it is much more common to extend your living area and have the patio centered at our sliding doors.

My concern is that it will reduce the spaciousness of the backyard (and resale value) as there will then be only 2 small patches of grass on either side of the patio. One of the unique characteristics of our unit is that it has a large rectangular strip of backyard which is not normal for units of this size in this area.

The house is north east facing located in Perth and our living/kitchen doesnt get too much light as it is. I am afraid extending the patio directly from the living room will further darken the house.

Look forward to hearing everyone's opinions on which they prefer? Pictures below

Comments (5)