Houzz Logo Print
suetheron_london

Help! Flooring advice needed

Souzette Lovell
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello Houzzers,

I'd love your advice please. I'm ready to pour the foundations of my small extension (approx 5m x 6m. One third of this area will be a wet room/ glasshouse so will have a concrete floor with non-slip tiles

The other 2/3 is an informal dining/ living area, with bifolds opening into the garden. Bedroom 3 marked on the plan is already existing

Site is facing west, so there will be a lot of solar gain. Will add shading and a pergola for summer

I was going to put a timber floor on bearers and joists, but because the BUilding Code requires a 400mm cavity underneath, it will mean excavating beneath the level of the existing house footings, so it looks like I'll have to slab the whole thing

just wondering what on earth do I do for the flooring? Im inland NSW so get very hot summers, and very cold winters. What can I do with a concrete slab that will make it pleasant to walk on in winter? I don't want to fuss with in-slab heating. So am looking for a slab finish. I was going to use strutaflor as a finished surface, stained dark walnut. Can I glue this straight onto a concrete slab? Can I glue linoleum to a concrete slab?

thanks in advance! xx Sue

Comments (11)