Houzz Logo Print
suetheron_london

Most cost-effective option for 9m x 4.7m extension

Souzette Lovell
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi. I've been speaking with builders, carpenters, trades in general but still can't get an estimate of the most cost-effective way to build this. I need to keep this ultra-low budget. Please let me know your thoughts and experience of costs. Also, would I get the frames and trusses pre-manufactured off site, or built on site? Buiding them on site, you can see the Builders eyes with $$$$$$. Please see two floorplan options and photos below:

Option 1: leave an existing 1940s timber-framed room on piers, and add a smaller 6m x 4.7m extension into the crook of the "L" shape

Option 2: remove that small 1940s room and have a clear run across the whole 9m of the back of the house, to form up a 9m x 4.7m extension - basically a long rectangle with a skillion roof. Obviously 'bigger' and would add more floor space.

I've got existing bifold doors and windows to use for one whole side. The new structure must be structurally independent of the existing 1927 house. There is no structural strength in the existing house and it's a very movable clay soil, so I cannot risk a new structure 'pulling' on the old one. So the idea is to frame up the whole side with the bifolds, using steel posts anchored into the perimeter strip footings. These would effectively create the brace for the whole new structure, alongside 'bracing' ply in the infill walls where possible. The the wall touching the house would be timber-framed, and the new roof trusses would sit on this, tied back to the steel posts. Roof will be 3 degree pitch metal roof such as Kingspan, flashed into the existing corrugated-iron profile (I told you, this does not need to be pretty, just functional and strong). Hope this makes sense! Please see photos and plans. Thanks for any comments.

Really I need to keep this ultra-low budget! Maybe I should just leave the existing small room there, sell the bifolds, and just make an open deck area with a small laundry against the existing house...............? (Option 3)

Option 1 - retain existing room, build 4.7 x 6m

Option 2 - demolish existing room, build 4.7 x 9m

Existing original 1927 house

Ha! forgot to add a photo of the existing state of demolition!

thanks for your thoughts and experience about the most budget option, thank you!

Comments (15)