Houzz Logo Print
todd_triebler

Kitchen design & engineering idea - would you do it like this?

Todd Triebler
4 years ago

My townhouse has a small kitchen which looks out over the backyard and river. The dining room is separated from the kitchen with a wall which makes the dining room dark. There's a study next to the kitchen which also looks out over the backyard and river - and this study is not really used.

Here's the floor plan :

Maylands Kitchen · More Info

I had some 3D photo scans done of the house to give a good visual representation of how it looks now :

This is how the kitchen and dining looks from the rear patio :

And from the dining room :

I would like to open up the kitchen to the dining room by removing the walls that separate them and create an island bench that people can sit at, looking out over the backyard.

In order to relocate the fridge and oven, I would remove the wall between kitchen and study, creating a galley kitchen with a breakfast nook.

I've created a proposed floorplan in roomstyler :

Here's the new view from the dining room into the kitchen and out to the backyard :

From the rear patio looking in :

From the laundry looking down the galley kitchen :

From the corener of the previous study, looking at the breakfast nook :

From the lounge room looking into the previous study area :

The slab above the kitchen/dining is thick concrete for the second floor so I need an engineer and builder to look at what is possible and if it requires additional strengthening if the walls are to be removed.

The central walls that make up the current pantry remain.

Would like some advice on if this seems the smartest way to go and find some professionals to evaluate it and give an overall look to the project as well.

Comments (14)