Houzz Logo Print
suetheron_london

natural finish for 1927 red cedar internal doors

Souzette Lovell
4 years ago

Hi! Anyone here got experience please and recommendations for restoring internal old red cedar doors? With all these fires around, it seems fitting to honour beautiful timber where it exists. I've decided to have natural timber finish on the doors facing the hallway.

I've stripped two back using two different methods. The one on the right reveals a beautiful rich orangey colour when wet, and I"d like to enhance this with the finish. Prefer not to use anything that will result in a plasticy feel - am aiming for natural finishes that won't darken over time

On the left, it's been commercial paint stripper, and scraping. It appears to have been originally finished using a dark-tinted shellac. This 'dark timber' looks is very familiar in these old houses. Which is why I'm so surprised with the result on the door on the right.

The door on the right - I've stripped using heat-gun outside (lead paint), and a DIY mixture of Borax+Washing Soda + ammonia + water, and steel wool to remove the dark shellac. I'm concerned I may have damaged the fibres so want to give it some kind of conditioning - eg a wax or an oil. I don't want it to darken over time though

Comments (4)