Houzz Logo Print
kerry_dean38

Creative ideas needed to reconfigure/extend

Kerry D
4 years ago

Most would say it’s a knock down rebuild but new designs & workmanship leave me cold plus for us, unaffordable. I believe the old girl could be revived in and configured in stages to capitalise on our block’s assets and suit our family lifestyle.
Big issues needing attention: floor plan, no insulation, probably replacing clay pipes, original windows - thin & many inoperable, driveway needs resurfacing, gutters/down pipes, tiled roof all original. Positives of block - big 1306sq but narrow 15m, house positioned at top of gentle upward slope where levels out, we have put in beautiful tiled pool, have upgraded electrics, fencing, have no rear neighbours with bush outlook front & rear with glimpses of water views at front - much better if we went up.
Our needs:
We are a family of 4 with 2 children. Our daughter has severe Autism, will always live with us and designing for her needs is paramount. We need sight lines from front to rear & as much insulation/soundproofing as possible, utilising durable materials in build & ideally a living area at front and rear for some separation. We would like open plan at rear with deck overlooking pool in NE corner of yard - kitchen/dining/living & laundry.
Importantly we are Bal 40.
My ideas: Trying to work within footprint and/or extending house to north/east boundary. Maybe create one bedroom from half of front lounge as such a big room. Create master from kitchen with en-suite from laundry. Extend out at current entry to create another bedroom and double duty office/guest bedroom. Push out current master wall into carport to gain width & windows for sun & airflow. Convert window in lounge room to create a front door.
Appreciate your thoughts and fresh eyes.
Budget: tight

Comments (21)