Houzz Logo Print
damien_towning

What to do about gradient for a central drain in Bathroom

Damien Towning
4 years ago

About to start tearing out an old bathroom in 100 year old house. Bathroom was probably updated in the 90's. Shower pan is cracked. Bathtub is integrated type. It will all be coming out. Plan is to convert the bathroom back to something closer to an Edwardian pattern with the bathroom as a complete wet area. We have a free standing clawfoot bathtub to install. Shower will go above that. I was going to take up the old floor down to the boards and remove whatever mess I find. Then put down Villaboard. Go over that with primer and membrane. Then tiles. But my question is what to do about the drain gradient. I was going to put a drain in the centre of the bathroom with drop. But what do you do about the drop in a wet area bathroom. Will I need to screed over the villaboard? If I put a screed down over the Villaboard will I need to first prime the Villaboard. Then put down the screed? Then put down another layer of primer? Then put the membrane over the top? What is the order of layers to get my gradient for the drain? I've not found a clear tutorial on doing this anywhere. All instructions for a membrane seem to assume a flat floor!

Comments (4)