Houzz Logo Print
k_wh

Do ceilings and walls need to match in an open plan

K WH
4 years ago

Hello

I live in Federation weatherboard cottage which I plan to renovate into the attic space roads two beds and a bath.

I need to make room for the staircase and want to make the living room, which is off the kitchen, larger. To do so, I plan to knock down two walls - the one off the current living room, and the one off the hallway. It will basically be one big rectangle room.

Each room has different types of walls and ceiling. The bedroom is plain plaster with high skirting boards. The hallway is plaster walls, high skirting boards, and pressed metal ceiling. The living room is all original weatherboard - walls and ceiling - and has low skirting boards.

The living room has a side external door, which I plan on keeping. It opens on the wall between the living room and bedroom.

This all worked as separate rooms, but now it’s basically an open rectangle, what design “rules” must I adhere to and how do I get around them? We will basically use the original living room as a dining and sitting, and the opened bedroom as the lounge. We are budget constrained where all money is going to the stairs, two beds, and 1.5 baths upstairs.

• The living room weatherboard is a feature that everyone loves but I don’t think I can afford to outfit the entire open plan in weatherboard. How can I keep the weatherboard contained to the area it is in - do I need a ceiling beam and wall posts to demarcate the space to not make it look weird it jumps from weatherboard to plaster and different heights in skirting boards? Or will this look weird? Should I simply outfit it all?
  • Similarly with the pressed metal ceiling. Will this look strange on its own even though it will still be present at the front of the house (the hallway is separated by an arch which is the demarcation).
  • Does the door need to open onto a wall, as with the wall removed, it will open into “nothing”.

I’ve attached a rudimentary sketch of the plan. The “wavy lines” are the walls I want to knock down. “W” stands for weatherboard.

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Comments (32)