Houzz Logo Print
barbara_robson12

Appropriate temperature for vinyl flooring acclimation?

Barbara Robson
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am getting new vinyl plank flooring installed in my Townsville flat today. I am not living there until after the flooring is complete, but the planks were delivered several days ago and have been acclimating in the flat so they'd be ready today. Yesterday, I went up to the flat and was surprised and a little alarmed to see that the contractor had left the air conditioner on full bore, at 24C. Checking the boxes the planks came in, I see that this accords with the recommended procedure. However, can this be correct? I thought the purpose of acclimation was to bring the planks to the ambient temperature and humidity so they wouldn't expand or contract once in place? If so, why would they be acclimated in 24C air-conditioned air, a lower temperature and humidity than they will ever see again? If this were an office installation, where the building would be continuously air conditioned to keep men comfortable in suits, that would make sense, but does it still make sense for a home installation in the tropics? I rarely use my air conditioner as I am usually more comfortable without it and want to keep my energy use down. When it does get hot enough to turn on the air con, I set it somewhere between 26 and 28C. Is this going to be a problem?

Comment