Houzz Logo Print
houzzaupolls

POLL: Big house with small backyard or smaller house with a big yard?

HouzzAU Polls
4 years ago

Vote below and tell us why in the comment section.

Stanhope House · More Info

Big house with a small backyard
Small house with a big backyard

Comments (36)

• Kate
    4 years ago

Space for kids to play outside. And when inside like the space to look onto with a big tree and not have a house 3 meters away blocking longer sight lines and sunshine

• macyjean
    4 years ago

I voted "Small house with a big backyard" but the house needs to be large enough with adequate storage and a proper laundry room not a laundry in a cupboard or at the back of the garage.

I'd probably want a bigger garden than some people do, but when a block is so small that bedrooms have to have high slit windows instead of full size windows for privacy from the neighbours, in my opinion that's too small. It's one thing to not be interested in spending time on garden maintenance if that's not your passion. It's another thing to have so little space around a free-standing home that the liveability of the interior is compromised.

• Related Discussions

Large back yard fence idea

Q

Comments (18)
    Thankyou for all help and suggestions. We are going with brick pillars and hedge between, with chain wire fence for security whilst the hedges grow. We want to tie it in with the front brick pillar and panel fence. We would not the pillars as close t ogeather as the fence, but we arent sure if to do every second, third or fourth pillar spacing?. Appreciate opinions.
    ...See More

POLL: What is the most iconic feature of an Australian backyard?

Q

Comments (15)
    There is nothing more Aussie than a backyard BBQ! We are finding with the estate blocks getting smaller, more of our homes are being customed and personalised to include a BBQ area in the under cover Alfresco space. A beautiful modern take on the traditional Aussie BBQ that is perfect all year round! Photograph from a recently completed PJ Burns Builder home on the Sunshine Coast
    ...See More

Backyard dimensions

Q

Comments (18)
    You have an ensuite and an identical bathroom around 3 steps further apart. Can't see any advantage for this. You could lose the ens, relocate the WIR and end up with a bigger bedroom, bigger WIR and save money. Your roof has these eaves all close together over what appears to be some upper level windows, but these walls aren't reflected below. If I've understood this correctly you've added significant build cost for little gain. I think the room sizes are ok but I would suggest a design professional to polish it up.
    ...See More

Help! Backyard ideas please

Q

Comments (39)
    Hi Laura, I also love your inspiration photo. I think you're on the right track for what you want. It looks like an early summer image due to the jacaranda flowering so I would try and get a bit more colour in the planting and spread your flowering season to be as long as you can by choosing winter, spring and summer flowering plants. It appears that you have the ability to build one side of the garden up as you have a foudation below the fence. You shouldn't build it up in front of the actual fence as it will eventually rust out. If you do build it up in part, you could build seating into this to make two uses out of the retaining. You could intersperse this with the cortens to reduce the cost as that wont work so well for seating. Recycled timber could do the job and maybe mix with some gabions, which you can do on the cheap yourself if you have a source of rubble or stones. C.
    ...See More
  • bj605
    4 years ago

Would not even consider living in a big house on a small block, I like space between me and the neighbours. Currently living in a small house on a big block as that's what we could afford in our chosen area.

• PRO
    House of Dawes
    4 years ago

Is there an in between solution? Think about just how much time you would realistically use the outdoor area- is it just for lawn and 'run and jump area' or for decking and entertaining- that inside-outside feel? More lawn = mowing and cost, therefore without making it look like a squashed up cattle-crush, perhaps a good marriage of outdoor deck and seating or a big gathering table and bbq, with a small fake-lush-turf space for a low maintenance kids kick the ball area could be the way to go yes>?

• Littlethommo
    4 years ago

Definately I big block for me - I love gardening and value my privacy and seeing fences just meters away makes me feel claustrophobic. Nothing worse than entertaining in a tiny yard and neighbours so close they can hear every word! With blocks being subdivided into an almost unlivable tiny size now a bigger block will also be a better investment longterm - especially if there is subdivision potential in the future.

• Gallifrey
    4 years ago

In most cities we do no have the luxury of having a large yard. For most of us this question is quite academic.

• geluka
    4 years ago

Depends on the climate

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    4 years ago

I lived in a smallish house with big backyard.
    then we built and we have a biggish house with smaller backyard.
    Happier now than then.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

As long as I can sit under the shade of a tree...... I would prefer to be gardening than cleaning! Proportion is important too. Mass of rooms with fences at the end of your nose is ucky, Maybe with little people it not best to have a paddock in which to loose them!!

Cheers Margot

• Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

My home is biggish with small back yard, it is difficult to make things work.
    Hedges are your best friend, as high as possible. Love a bit of everything grass,fruit trees, veggie patch and dog.
    Does my head in trying to make it flow and fit.
    We r so lucky some people can’t have any dirt.

• Laura Beaupeurt
    4 years ago

Compared to many of the homes I saw in various African countries, the houses we have in Australia are palatial - even the smaller ones. My house is (probably unfashionably) small with a large backyard and sometimes I wish I had a bigger house (even though I don’t really need it). Then I remember, how much I have comparatively and am grateful for what I do have.

• Ruth and James Peck
    4 years ago

Definitely small house on a large block. House must be well oriented and designed but always need a garden so can lose myself in that or bring the outside in.

• ddarroch
    4 years ago

A well designed small house (with adequate storage) with a reasonable sized backyard. Not huge, just enough that the there's a sense of privacy, not that the neighbours are pressed up against you.

Certainly not a large McMansion, on a tiny block, closely surrounded by other equally uninspiring McMansions. Yuck!

• John Evangelista
    3 years ago

I end up spending more time outside in the garden than inside the house. I find it more relaxing.

• tcollz
    3 years ago

Agree with ddarroch - hate all these McMansions popping up and ruining our suburbs! Tasteless and taking down all our healthy green spaces :(

Small with a big block is lovely.

• Regency Cream
    3 years ago

A house that's neither big nor small

A block that fits it, where one can kick a ball

Established trees and blossoms and an open sky

Privacy from neighbouring fence lines.

I voted for neither. I would steer more to the smaller house on a larger block. I wonder if people's views are changing presently because of COVID-19 and those who were quite happy in larger houses on smaller blocks would see the value of more land surrounding them, or they are just as happy as always enjoying the large living space. And people in apartments may feel differently at present to how they normally would?

• Regency Cream
    3 years ago

I lived in an apartment block in the city which was on a reasonable sized block with a green area across the road, and within walking distance were the Rivercat service, lake and parklands. I was very content with this. I had a very small balcony I could fit a cafe table on, and I walked everywhere each day. My living space was small. But I was out in the air, feeling as though the whole city was my back yard. There were houses and apartments all mixed into the streetscape.

But when I moved to a small house on a big block in the mountains, backing onto bush, what was very noticeable was the great open sky, and space between the houses, and feeling of being with nature. The stars can be seen brightly at night. The wildlife is amazing here. I love the smaller birds visiting such as the blue wrens and the little yellow robins.

It does depend upon what stage of life you are in, and also what you have grown up with, and has become a feeling of "home" for you.

Personally, I see the need for balance- half way. Medium sized house on a medium sized block in the suburbs. I could never feel right in a massive house on a small block though. And yet a small boutique apartment building in the city was fine for me.

I wouldn't like to be the only house on a large block. I like to be in the suburbs where there are other people around, and life is happening around me. But also to have privacy in my own yard without a neighbouring house or apartment towering over me.

• Amber
    3 years ago

Such a big question. For us we were living in an apartment. Water views, close to everything....then I fell pregnant. So off to the suburbs. But it was location first for us. We wanted to be in a desirable suburb which meant we had to sacrifice a perfect scenario. We have a 220 Sqm house on a 800sqm block but our backyard is more like a large courtyard size. We have a 1 and 2 year old and to be honest it’s perfect. We don’t have time to maintain the gardens. Instead we can spend our weeks ends in local parks and playgrounds. We dont need to own that space. Spend a lot more time indoors and opted for functional spacious design. Is there a right answer here 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Austere Hamlet
    3 years ago

I've lived in units and attached housing my entire life. I ended up buying a small house 100sqm on a small yard, 450sqm which ends up being a big yard anyway because the house does not swallow it. Private outdoor space to me is as important as the interior space. Living in a house with no yard is no different to living in a unit. Because I've only ever lived in units a small house feels enormous to me anyway with a moderate sized yard and my very own shed. Its all I could reasonably want.

I had looked at other homes on 800sqm and even up to 3acre lots. But the house that felt right for me, ended up being on the smallest lot. Yet the overall package felt very homely and spacious.

I've also gardened on a large block and 800sqm can swallow thousands of dollars in plants without putting dent in the landscaping. I remembered that. I really wanted a block that I could landscape beautifully from boundary to boundary. An 800sqm block feels too large to do that within a reasonable time frame and the upkeep of gardening that much would be a time sink.

Living is about enjoyment, not just endless work.

• roseB
    3 years ago

A bigger section pushes the neighbours further away and gives you lots of lovely garden space to landscape or potter in. Perfect.

• alliance61
    3 years ago

A well planned smaller house will work well and cater to all needs even though smaller. Running and cleaning a small house is much easier.

• PRO
    Mat Makers
    3 years ago

gardening is much more fun than cleaning

• Megan Sirianni
    3 years ago

Boring

• possyposs
    3 years ago

I voted small house, big yard, but it’s more a matter of proportions, relativity, stage of life and lifestyle / needs than a black & white question.

We (I and 2 young adult children) are currently in a 180-ish sqm 1 level home set in a 730-ish block where the backyard is a little larger than the front yard. I love this and the opportunity to (learn to!) garden and bounty of fresh flowers that change with the season. Planting fruit trees is next on the agenda.

However, when we (children were teens then) were living in the inner city in a 3-level terrace with roughly the same sqm of living space on a 135 sqm plot (doesn’t deserve the word block), we were just as happy. The small courtyards held pot plants and barely needed any work. The city parks were our backyards and public transport was fast and convenient.

The difference in the 2 scenarios is that I am now retired and have more time on my hands to enjoy the outdoors, and the children now drive themselves everywhere.

• Anna Morgan
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It depends a bit on the climate but because I live in the tropics its all about being as open and accessible to the outdoors as possible. We have a small elevated house with lots of louvres in every room and a large veranda that overhangs a tropic garden. Undercover parking plus room for a pool, a dog and kids. A little bit of paradise.

• Jess Carver
    3 years ago

I vote a 2 storey split level home that gives you both a a large home with a small land foot print and a large yard.

• Sara Graham
    3 years ago

I have a relatively small but very well designed house of 160M2 on a block of 1000M2. We get lots of northern light in all the right places. Garden views and connection from every room and plenty of borrowed views. Outdoors we have space for produce gardens, fruit trees, outdoor patio and BBQ area, a fire pit, play space and a native garden. We also have a large, private courtyard off the master bedroom and a small one off the en-suite bathroom. And utility spaces to the south (washing line, hot water, outdoor compressors for air con, garden sheds etc). Internally we have 3 bedrooms, a study and open plan kitchen/dining/kitchen plus small activity area for the kids. None of the rooms, other than the activity area are poky. Because it is well designed there is no wasted space, and it flows really well, accomodating two adults and 2 teens while providing a good balance between connection and privacy. Ample ceiling heights, 2.4m high windows and sight lines that connect with the outdoors means it feels spacious despite its relatively compact size. It’s such a joy to live in this house. It feels like the goldilocks house. Not too big, not too small. Just right.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hi Sara, YOUR home sounds fantastic! OHH could we please build more like this. Not too big so that we have to be at work paying for it always and not home enjoying it. Not too small to be pokey. Best of all passive solar so it is inexpensive to maintain, run not draining back pocket or earth's resources. Also wonderfully comfortable for everybody. More please......Margot

• Sara Graham
    3 years ago

Kitchen and Home, it’s so cosy. We haven’t had the heating on since 9:30 last night. It got down to 4 degrees overnight, it’s currently 10 degrees outside but probably low 20s inside because we’ve got sun streaming in and we’re double glazed and we’ll insulated. Our energy use has dropped dramatically since we moved here, and this place is 25% bigger than our old place. Solar passive or passive Haus is the way to go.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Sara, Yours is a wonderful story and one that I do wish so many more people would know about, listen to and copy. THESE are the type of houses I am passionate about helping people build and enjoy for years. Especially first home buyers who do not need a massive Mc Mansion nor the mortgag for it. How can I get really busy designing for these folks in greatest need? Where can you spread you story of experience to educate families? I wish you well and keep on enjoying!! PS yes if it is too big it is a mortgag!!!! Cheers Margot

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hir Sara, Over night I realised I have a profile for your home's story: I have written a few blogs which are on my www.kitchenandhomeconcepts.com.au. We could note the highlights, add a few pictures if you are happy to supply them and pop your home up as one of my blogs? Could that work? If it is a pest for you, don't worry but I do love to have real life examples of how great Passive Solar Design homes are. If you would like to ring me 0419 348 546 we can have a chat? i would love this to work....Cheers Margot

• J H
    3 years ago

I have had both, But I voted for larger house because there easier to clean due to not having as much clutter and more storage. I live on an acre with a large house with trees and gardens and spend more time indoors than out, The large spaces makes for easy maintenance a quick run around on the mower and it's all done I do have a large deck which I use regularly, it is enough space for dining, and lounge are, Iook put over the D'Anguliar state forest

• Andrea Whiteside
    3 years ago

The worst scenario for me, which you see all the time with original houses where they have subdivided the back yard, is a good size house with a tiny backyard that is located in an unattractive spot like outside the toilet and bathroom windows. I hate this subdivision disease infecting our suburbs.

• Jen Osborne
    3 years ago

I am surprised by the result of this poll, seeing that every new houses I see pretty occupy as much of the land as possible, without a sliver of space for a tree :(

• Hurlanator
    3 years ago

I currently live in a smallish house on a large block. Being a shift worker and having many trees. I am planning for my next block to be small, 350sqm. I think that it will be nice to have a smaller garden and spend my weekends doing what I want rather than chasing the lawn, gutters, ETC.