Houzz Logo Print
klsymons

Living room fireplace advice needed

Katie Potter
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I would love some advice regarding our living room fireplace. Our house is late 1940s and I believe the fireplace is original. This room used to be the dining room, but we are turning it into a formal living room (we have a modern open plan kitchen/ dining/ family room at the back of the house). My husband has removed the mantelpiece, overmantel mirror and cupboards that had been built in on either side of the fireplace. He is planning to remove the plaster from this wall, which faces west, insulate the wall and then put up new plasterboard. He wants to remove the fireplace while he is doing this. I want to keep it.

The fireplace isn’t able to be used as the fire bricks were removed when the last owners installed a gas heater in the space. My husband doesn’t like the bricks and doesn’t think it’s worth keeping it seeing it can’t be used.

The main reason why I want to keep it is that it is a focal point of the room and I think the two small windows in the wall either side of it will look odd without having the fireplace, mantel and overmantel mirror in between them. Hubby does not want to remove the two windows - too much work.

So, does anyone have any advice regarding what we can do to fix the fireplace so it looks nicer, or should we just pull it out? Does anyone agree that the two small windows will look strange on the wall without something in between? If we do remove the fireplace what could we add to create another focal point in the room?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give and please excuse the bed and toys in the photos.

Comments (28)