sarahmwasyluk

dulux exterior grey.. steel copy or diffused grey?

Sarah P
3 months ago

Has anyone used either of these colours on the exterior of a house? Do you find they throw any colours other than just being a nice grey? Thanks!

Dr Retro House Calls
    3 months ago

Hi Sarah,

Best to get sample pots of both colours and test them. You will be surprised how much your perception of a colour will change between looking at a sample chip in the paint aisle of Bunnings, and under natural light in your front garden. Some lighter greys pick up some of the surrounding colours such as vegetation. Some colours look different when viewed vertically or horizontally as well! So a sample pot is the only way to be sure.

By the way my crystal ball says that due to the changes to our current lifestyles and society because of the worldwide pandemic grey as a fashion colour will be declared dead and more positive, uplifting colours will become the new standard, as happened after World War 2.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Best Answer
  • Kate
    3 months ago

Oh thank god

MB Design & Drafting
    3 months ago

I agree 100% with Dr.

Grey as a trend is declining (finally) with the prediction of brighter colours being noted early last year.

• Sarah P
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks for the replies, however I have this week to choose a colour and was asking about these specifically. And I “currently” like grey. And my facade is designed with a certain colour palette in mind. don’t think it would be wise to choose a completely different bold, bright colour that I’m not particularly drawn to, for the sake of future trends 🤷🏻‍♀️ paint can be changed, so when I’m drawn to another colour I can change it. However I need to decide between these two right now 🙂

• Kate
    3 months ago

Haven’t used them, but diffused look a bit washed out, less impact.

• Kate
    3 months ago

What r u contrasting it with, is the grey the standout, if that’s the case I’d go steel copy, unless you are going beachy/soft colours

Dr Retro House Calls
    3 months ago

Sarah, it is really impossible to make any suggestion without knowing about your house. A photo would help. Is there brickwork? Is it a new house? Which way does it face? What parts are you painting? Where is it? Without this information, nobody can suggest a meaningful answer. Why don't you buy some sample pots as I suggested and post photos of the sample paint on your house? Or engage a design professional who can organise some large samples to be posted to you?

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls