Houzz Logo Print
kathdeannandu

Help transform my rumpus room

kathdeannandu
4 years ago

I have a gorgeous Hamptons-style home with an upstairs rumpus room that is a complete design disaster! We have practical dark hard-wearing carpet (because this area was going to be a gym when we built the house and before the kids took over the room!), two chocolate brown lounges that we've hung onto since 2005! A couple of quality timber pieces - bookshelf and tv cabinet - neither of which match. A blue table tennis table which sits right in the middle of the room and a single bed which might just make its way back into the storeroom so I no longer have to look at another odd piece of furniture! This is where I'd like to put up a huge mirror and my pilates workout equipment. The space is used by my teenage children.

I'm happy to paint any existing furniture. I was considering painting the two timber pieces white but I'm stuck trying to work out whether to keep the couch (maybe paint it dark grey with Fusion mineral paint) or whether to buy a new one. It's really comfortable and practical for the black labrador and kids which is why we've hung onto it for so long. Obviously a few plants and pic frames are needed but I didn't want to add those until I know what I'm doing with the rest of the room. My daughter has suggested forgetting the Hamptons theme and going multi-coloured (as shown in the colour palette) but I don't know if I'm that brave.

Our walls are soft grey with white trim as shown in the pic. This colour flows throughout the rest of the house. Another huge disaster is our windows which were installed at different heights. We have three windows across the front of the house and the builder raised the middle window to suit the facade. This looks great from the front of the house but terrible in the rumpus room because the third window is actually in our storeroom. This means the heights don't match and looks like a building error! No idea what to do to hide it.

We built the house four years ago. Every room downstairs looks fantastic but I just can't work out what to do with this room. Please help.

Comments (2)