Houzz Logo Print
jena_lea

Kitchen renovation inspiration!! Help

Ralflo
3 years ago

I’ve never renovated ANYTHING and pretty much have no clues - please be gentle with me! I’m looking at maybe closing off the sliding glass door in the “dining” space to give me more options for cupboards and bench space.. The sliding door goes nowhere (no deck etc outside - that’s on the other side of the house. It is also very exposed to the street - so not the worst thing from a privacy perspective? (It’s the slider on the left in the last photo - difficult to match bricks if I brick it in???)

I’m also toying with knocking out the wall between kitchen and living to create an island with storage? The whole space is pretty compact and I’m not really sure what to do with it - maybe even leave it just as it is (with updated induction cooktop and new oven, new tap ware and maybe resurface the cupboards and go with a new bench top). What do the clever renovators on Houzz think? Budget $10-15k - or am I dreaming???

Starting point - kitchen - maximise space - get the fridge in here! Sacrifice t · More Info

Starting point - dining - how can I get the fridge out of here? Do I close in th · More Info

Comments (27)

• bigreader
    3 years ago

Once you start knocking down walls and changing doorways your budget will disappear very quickly. Have you lives with the kitchen for a while? Do you know what doesn’t function for you?

• Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HI Bigreader - thank you - and I thought as much, but as I’ve never had to have work like this done, I guess I need some help with what IS doable within my budget.

I haven’t lived in the house yet - it is tenanted while I am still working and I’ll retire there in a year or two. I don’t fancy having the work done after I’ve moved in. That said - I can say without doubt that having the fridge taking up space in what is already a tiny dining space and out of the kitchen work area just gives me the irrits! Likewise - having lived in more than my fair share of rentals as I’ve moved around for work - not having a decent pantry is a pain too.

So, how to get the fridge out of that corner and into the work area - without sacrificing too much bench and cupboard space?

• Related Discussions

i would appreciate some help and ideas for mini kitchen renovation

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Sabi, You have a great light kitchen with lots of window, so be wary of darkening the effect too much if you like the current feel. As all your existing storage is concealed behind cupboard doors, to add an extra dimension to the space, you could consider some open storage for display of all your 'nice' pieces. Your kitchen looks to be a traditional style, so it would be easy to find a tall (or even a bench height unit to give you more space) that fits in with your scheme. See the image I have attached below. Misshayley's suggestion of a glass splash back would work well, just remember that the colour of the year (Masala) may be "on trend" now, but designers rarely advise you go with on trend items that are expensive to replace. You could then select a few accessories to display in the kitchen area that carry that colour through the space. Perhaps a feature wall nearby painted in this, as it is less costly to repaint if you tire of it. Add some greenery to the room for a fresh look & great contrast with the Masala. Glass splash backs are great if you want to avoid the work of having to keep tile grout clean. regards, Lisa Elliott
    ...See More

Kitchen renovation help

Q

Comments (82)
    Hi Richard - the final kitchen layout looks amazing!! Congratulations. Any chance you could tell me what program you're using to design the kitchen / layout? I'm starting some minor renovation works on my house soon and would love to use something similar.
    ...See More

In need of renovation (layout) ideas and inspiration

Q

Comments (8)
    If you look at the master firstly , basically the bed has to go under the window I'm guessing , so everything from the bed across to the 2 doors is wasted . That small hall into the guest bedroom and 'that' WIR ( linen cupboard ? ) is also a waste of space . This may be more than you want to do , but if you took out the WIR in the master , and moved the door to where the 'flat' end or the WIR is , and continued that wall across to the external wall , you'd have a heap more usable space in the Master . The ensuite with it's angled entry then becomes bigger ( yes , I know , it's only 5 years old ) and MAYBE you could even walk through the WIR to the ensuite ( not my favourite idea , but it's an idea ) . But also , you now end up with a door straight into the guest bed , and include some of the hall , so the guest room is at least 1/3rd bigger , and the linen cupboard becomes longer ( bigger ) , or possibly even have a bigger L shaped bathroom , but thats moving more walls and maybe swapping the toilet and bathroom -- in other words , a biggie ! Just ideas , but there seems to be better ways to use the space -- it will cost $$$ , but it will presumably get you closer to your ideal layout .
    ...See More

Kitchen renovation layout help

Q

Comments (15)
    my suggestion would be to use the playroom for a new laundry and pantry, enlarge the bathroom in the old laundry space and remove the hall wall to achieve a kitchen with modern island BUT if the hall wall can't be removed within budget consider using the family room space for a new kitchen with island
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    3 years ago

For only $10K to $15K you don't need to see inspirational photos of kitchens way beyond your budget. I would keep a similar layout but put the fridge where the dishwasher currently is, and incorporate a new dishwasher recess in your new cabinetwork adjacent to the sink. Forget about removing walls, changing windows and doors, and work with the structure you have.

If you triple your budget then you would have a lot more flexibility. Check out Ikea kitchens to see how cheap flat pack cabinetwork can be when you assemble the cabinets yourself. Allow extra for plumbing, electrical, appliances, and installation.

Best of luck,
    Dr Retro
    of Dr Retro House Calls/Dr Retro Virtual Visits

• Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Dr Retro - sigh - I kinda knew that, I guess - but thank you for making me hear it! Kaboodle and IKEA - here I come. Here’s a question though - I am no DIY-er, are there ppl out there who offer installation of the cheaper flat pack stuff? See? I really haven’t got a clue!!

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes. My preference is for Ikea when you are on a tight budget. They seem to have a wider range of modules available and with a clever design you can achieve a lot more. I would not recommend installing them yourself but engaging a cabinetmaker to install them. However you can save a lot of money by assembling each cabinet yourself. It is tedious, and the first one is always a bit tricky, but after you have done two or three you are used to it.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls/Dr Retro Virtual Visits

Ralflo thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • oklouise
    3 years ago

can you post a floor plan with measurements of all walls and showing location of the sliding door, windows and internal doorways and we can offer some suggestion for new cabinets but always good to see a plan of the whole house so any changes work with adjoining rooms

Ralflo thanked oklouise
  • Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi oklouise, I only have photos, a rough sketch map with rough measurements - the more I play with the ikea app, the more I appreciate how important the measurements are.

That said, I have decided that the door and wall can stay pretty much as they are....the only change I will probably make is to sacrifice the linen cupboard which is the protrusion into the back left corner of the kitchen. That instantly gives me more bench space.

If I take Dr Retro’s advice and put the fridge where the dishwasher is now and go with a slimline dishwasher next to the sink, that gets the fridge out of the dining space which was my biggest gripe.

• Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

To clarify - the house is tenanted at the moment and I can’t access to take better measurements...

• Audrey1967!
    3 years ago

Did you say that the backyard comes off the living room and the front yard comes off the dining room and kitchen and is very exposed to the street? Do you know where the North, South, East, West is in relation to your house?

• Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Audrey - I know it sounds odd - because it is a bit. The house is

on a corner block - the elevation in the photo in the original post

faces south-east and the photo was taken almost out on the street - with the corner to the left of the photograph. It has more of a "back yard" feel to me, even though it faces the street.

What I consider to be the 'front" yard, with the main entrance to the house around about under the satellite dish...let's just say it's a bit quirky! :-)

• Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Siriuskey - I think the fridge on the other side with pantry alongside could work really well too - thanks for the suggestion - now to start playing with the design apps!! I hadn't discounted Kaboodle just hadn't got round to a proper look :-) in fact, I need to go to Bunnings tomorrow to grab a new wheelbarrow - might have a quick look at the display at my local store...

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

while you are in Bunnings and if they aren't too busy they will be able to help you with the app and possibly do a rough plan, take fridge size with you

Ralflo thanked siriuskey
  • User
    3 years ago

I guess the first question -- is it wooden floored , or concrete with wood veneer slats ? If you rip out the kitchen and change it around , will you have to redo the floor and try and match the slats , as it looks like they go through the dining and lounge too -- that may affect your ideas and budget .

The kitchen doesn't look great initially , but there does seem quite a bit of cupboard space when you actually add it all up . Is it all needed ? Just an idea , can you cut some out for the fridge , or install a new dishwasher near the sink , and maybe have a glass doored wall unit where the fridge is , if you have 'good' dinner sets you want to store and display , for example .

In your initial post , you seem to suggest closing off the sliding door by the dining area ( I may have misunderstood that ? ) . Logic says No . It'll be hard to match and integrate , it'll darken the interior , and if you add say a window , you'll spend thousands and get not much .

And something else to think about -- what is actually wrong with the kitchen ( before you rip it out ) . It is old , and old-fashioned . I love the flooring . Imagine it with the cupboard doors painted in stark white for the lower level , the higher ones in an earthy orangey brown . With modern chromed square tube type handles 150mm tall . And white or orange gloss tiles , either 200mm square , or subway style , on the visible walls . Or light and dark green cabinet doors , and mid green or white tiles . AS combo that excites you , in other words . $1000 of paint and tiles and handles , as opposed to $10k of cabinets and benchtops ? Add a modern lightshade , and look at the difference .

Just some thoughts . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ralflo thanked User
  • Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HI Pottsy99 - Thank you for your ideas. I had originally thought that closing in the slider might be an option - but I agree, it doesn't make sense.

The floor is a timber floating floor over concrete and the same flooring extends throughout the entire house with the exception of the bathroom/laundry.

I also agree, updating what's there with paint and other cosmetic touches is appealing from the perspective of the hip pocket. That said, I have heard enough horror stories of paint over laminate to scare me off - and that's work done by professionals!

If I went down that road, I still somehow need to get that damn fridge out of the dining space - there'll need to be some new cabinetry to accommodate that. And I loathe the colour of the bench top - that's gotta go!

Soooo - based on the excellent ideas form the brains trust - I see the fridge moving to the wall opposite the dishwasher - removing the cabinets/bench there. Then next to the fridge, a full height pantry unit incorporating the microwave in the middle with cupboards above and drawers below AND if I can lose the linen cupboard in the corner I can claw back some bench space around to the stove (thanks again Siriuskey for that idea!). Essentially, the footprint wont change too much - but the flooring will be a bit of an issue when the linen cupboard comes out because it protrudes just a bit into the room - I would hope that such a small area could be cosmetically patched and colour matched (????)..

Something like this (please ignore colours - I was just playing with layout :-) (the wall the fridge is on doesn't actually extend beyond the fridge - I couldn't figure out how to make the walls different lengths in the app) Oh, and couldn't find an over stove exhaust fan unit - but that would be incorporated into the design too....

I'd be happy to hear anyone's thoughts on this. But remember - be gentle - I'm a noob ;-)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Put the dishwasher under the dishdrainer of the sink, moving cutlery drawers to end if you can depending on dimensions for standard cupboard sizes. Makes plumbing easier.

Ralflo thanked Kate
  • Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate - worth thinking about! The current layout has the dishwasher on the end - but I do like the idea of having it closer to the sink.

• Annie Wragg
    3 years ago

I would keep the cabinets, just replace the tops to your liking And reconfigure some. Laminate comes in fabulous patterns and so much cheaper than stone. A new more modern sink and tap would add style. The door handles look ok but easily changed If you want. Put the fridge where the dishwasher is, remember fridges are usually deeper than other appliances but that would be the best spot if width allows. you could hide it in cabinetry.

Dishwasher opposite wall with long bench top over. Microwave under bench and either cupboards or a shelf overhead. A pullout pantry unit also under the bench would be good. I find I store very few dry and canned goods and much is kept in the fridge. you can choose a different wall treatment to give it pizzazz. replace the light fitting with down lights maybe 4 in the total ceiling area. Talk with a cabinet maker, and electrician who can also recommend a tiler if you tile the walls. I also question the type of cook top. Induction is becoming the new norm, and very good looking, but requires a new circuit and also draws a lot of power. Worth thinking about. Lots to think about, but just take it slowly one step at a time and get obliging local trades people.

Ralflo thanked Annie Wragg
  • siriuskey
    3 years ago

Well done using the app, that looks like a great layout and as Kate mentioned move the DW under your drain board, I'am impressed. The fridge will take up the same space no matter which side you place it, I prefer the tall cabinets together and having the long run of benchtop from the cooktop and around along under the window will be great to work in. Remember not to build the pantry out to the same depth as the fridge but do build the fridge in

Ralflo thanked siriuskey
  • Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, I thought build in the fridge with more storage above...

• Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So - Still very much just playing with colours, but I think I'm pretty happy with this as a layout concept (with the fridge built in - IKEA doesn't seem to have a plan for dealing with that ;-).) Thank you all for your input - very much appreciated.

• Austere Hamlet
    3 years ago

You won't knock out walls for that budget. That is kitchen refit only.

Don't brick up the sliding door, it will make the space impossibly dark and depressing. Better to just lock it and pretend it's a window. The real problem in that kitchen is that corner wall that eats into the available bench space. Is that hiding a water heater or something as it doesn't appear to make sense from the photo's you have. If Ii'm reading that correctly you could possibly move that wall outwards to free up extra bench space in that corner and enable a corner top cabinet. Toaster, kettle will fit there nicely. If that's within your budget I'd do it because it will fix most of the problems with your kitchen.

When you have a small kitchen like this an easy way to increase bench space without structual changes is a nice kitchen trolley that increases bench space when you need it and can be parked over near the dining area when you don't.

I'd replace the current stove with one that has an induction or ceramic cooktop. Because it's flush you can use the stove top as extra bench space when you're not cooking. Makes the space more flexible. Preferably put in a cooktop on the bench and separate built in oven rather than a freestanding unit. The integration will make your kitchen appear more spacious. With the small space you really do need top cabinets but solid doors are a bit claustrophobic so I'd go with a glass fronted upper cabinets so it doesn't swallow your space but still gives you storage. Also install under cabinet lighting this will help out with visibility when cooking at night. And if possible recess the kickboards to reduce their visibility or change them to brushed aluminium this will make the footprint appear more spacious.

• Ralflo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Austere Hamlet. That wall in the corner is a linen cupboard - and I’m definite going to get rid of it to claw back some bench space there.. I think I managed to incorporate most of your ideas in my design. Your thoughts on kick board placing/colour and using glass fronted doors on the wall cabinets are great and I’ll certainly play with that - so much to consider!!

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

That is looking wonderful, just a couple of points, the range hood as one full panel as shown, could hinge up for access as any storage is limited. A return wall cabinet into the R/H corner. The wall single cabinet on the sink wall could be open shelves.

And once the fridge is built in will that line up with the opposite cabinets.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

sorry looking back at the earlier photos the fridge won't line up so no problem

• Irene Morresey
    3 years ago

Just new cupboard doors and countertop, some inspiration. Cute house, will look good with landscaping when you get the time

• Christopher Collier
    3 years ago

You can also add a kitchen clock in your kitchen. This is the place where you starts your morning, enjoy lunch and gossip over dinner.