Houzz Logo Print
emmaabhijeeta_saraswati

Renovating a 1970's blonde brick house

hello

I've just bought this house in Northern NSW and wondering how I can best modernise it whilst staying true to its roots - it was built in 1972.

I don't like render for many reasons, so I would simply like to enhance the facade, roof, gutters and change windows/doors, improve the garden, create outside seating area/s, fence it for better privacy and keep the quirky 70's character.

I am thinking of new doors at the front off the lounge, windows (they are aluminium and need replacing soon) and decks front/back to maximise inside/outside living. Whilst I like timber windows/doors generally, I am not sure how this is going to work with the pale brick vaneer. So I am wondering about colours and materials. Aluminium windows and doors? What colour? Or could timber work?

The roof needs repointing and repainting so I could take the opportunity to paint it a different colour - it was green. What colour would you suggest? And the guttering?

You will notice that the left front corner is an add-on room, it was originally a 70's brown-orange tiled verandah, hence the contrasting brickwork at the front is missing.

Inside, it works fairly well with brushbox wooden floors throughout, except for the add-on room and lack of inside/outside space, so I am thinking about opening it right up and bringing the front door out to the exterior wall. I'm not sure how this will look visually from the outside though... maybe a small porch is better? Or maybe should I reinstate the original verandah and lose some inside space in favour of regaining an outside area...and also add a deck at the front?

It's on quite a busy road, so I would also like to minimise noise make it more private with planting and a better fence.

What would you do to improve the facade, beautify and make it work overall?

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

Abhijeeta

Front/side

Front of house facing street

Side of house leading down to carport and back garden

Front porch (part of original verandah) - there are sliding doors on the left side of porch

Add-on room off porch

Looking from dining to porch and add on room

Back door leading to back garden (right side is master bedroom)

Back garden view from door

Street view left

Street view right

Comments (9)