Houzz Logo Print
smholdsworth

Seeking advice on floor plan layout for kitchen, dine, study & lounge

SHARON
3 years ago

Good afternoon to all.

This is my first time posting here. I am hoping that some of you may be able to assist me in the best possible layout for my open plan space which houses the following:

Kitchen, Dining Area, Loungeroom, Study Nook, freestanding fireplace and stairwell.

Some background information:

My home is located in Fitzroy, Melbourne. Built in the early 1990's, it is located on the site of an old factory building. It is two storey, reverse living, with garage, bedroom, bathroom on the ground level and one large open plan room on the first floor which opens out to a lovely north facing balcony. It is light and sunny inside, the first floor has a cathedral ceiling of approx. 35 degrees internally with chunky exposed timber beams and steel tie rods. The floor to ridge beam height is around 4 metres. Most of the wall on the eastern side has not been clad internally. This wall is a wall of exposed old red bricks.

I have attached a couple of floorplans and elevations. These designs were drawn up last year. I am still not 100% happy with the layout as I am finding it far too busy. I feel that I cannot escape the kitchen. It is always there right in my face reminding me of the cooking and cleaning etc that one does.

Also, the stairwell wall has a massive hand painted street art mural which was painted back in the early 2000's. The mural is huge, covering both the ground and first floor walls. I haven't attached a photo, however can do.

Thanking everyone in advance. I am really looking forward to your comments. Please let me know if you require any further information at any time.

Sharon

Comments (35)