Houzz Logo Print
raineyann

Kitchen splashback behind gas cooker

I am installing a gas cooktop and find it impossible to get the required 200mm clearance between the rear burner and the splashback, which limits my options for splashback materials. Currently, there are white tiles on the splashback and I simply cannot live with having to clean tile grout. I had glass in my previous home and hated it. It was a cleaner's nightmare - always smearing when wiped over.

If I go with my first choice of Sensa granite benchtops, or Dekton or similar, I can match benchtops and splashback but those are very expensive options.

I was looking at Caesarstone Excava or maybe Wild Rice for benchtops. I've been looking at slab tiles and porcelain materials (like Dekton) for a contrasting splashback, but finding the patterns clash. There's a shortage of plain colours. I found a suitable colour in the Reflections range but it sounds like it might present the same cleaning issues as glass. I also considered having the existing tiles recoated but I'm not sure the coating material would stand up to the heat from the gas.

Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Comments (7)