jamie_lee_beneke

What colour for the new roof?

jay lee
last month
last modified: last month

Hi Everyone, I have been a longtime lurker and enjoy reading everyone's ideas and input. This is my little home, its not huge but it's my Australian Dream home.

The cottage was built in 1950 and has been renovated inside a little, but now the time has come to replace the roof as it has many rust spots and I don't think it will last another Queensland Massive storm or two.

Now the question is what colour should I choose for the roof? It is just bare iron at the moment, do I chose Surfmist or go darker? The weatherboards are grey and the side colorbond fence is woodland grey. The house is in Queensland

Many thanks for reading, and I hope to read your ideas and suggestions soon

Dr Retro House Calls
    last month

You can't go wrong with Surfmist with your current scheme. Replacing your old roof is also a great time to rewire all of your ceiling fittings, add any new ceiling fixtures (extra ceiling fans etc), and replacing insulation.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls/Dr Retro Virtual Visits

jay lee thanked Dr Retro House Calls
    Top Answer
  • jay lee
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you for your replies, I really do appreciate it. I am so glad I asked for a second opinion, because i always second guess myself, so thank you!

• juliahocking
    last month

The idea of Surfmist sounds good to me too.

Light-coloured roof will reflect summer heat, making it a bit cooler inside.

A darker colour will absorb heat, thus heating the air in the roof/ceiling cavity.

It's a lovely little home - enjoy yourself.

jay lee thanked juliahocking
  • pottsy99
    last month

Two comments of mine --

-- If you look at the neighbours on the left , you see the top part of the eve is in a charcoal -- I wouldn't do the roof in that ( too warm in Queensland would be my guess ) , but I'd be tempted to do the gutters , as a 'break' between the grey and the surfmist .

-- The front steps and deck looks 'messy' -- it looks like it might be brown ? I'd do all of those steps and deck in charcoal . Also the white base board looks great , but a bit 'unbalanced' as it stops at the steps . I'd get a board the same width , and carry across to the left hand wall of your house , painted the same white .

Painting the bottom 2 boards white may get a similar look , but not quite as authentic IMO -- I'd spend the $200 or so and add the extra ( almost fake ) board .

jay lee thanked pottsy99
  • jay lee
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you pottsy99, your opinion is really helpful. I never really paid much attention to the white baseboard at the steps, but now looking at it, I can't unsee it. The steps have to be replaced, at some point would maybe a black japan colour work for the deck and stairs or is that way off? thank you again

• jay lee
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

@juliahocking Thank you so much for your kind words, I really do appreciate it, and thank you for your opinion. I am glad I am a little on the right track.

• Susan Clark
    last month

Surf mist is - I believe - the only reflective colourbond roof colour, so in Q. you’d definitely want to go for that. Assuming of course that you can no longer put silver on the roof - and I think you can’t. When you replace the roof I would also add good quality reflective insulation as a house if that age almost certainly won’t have any. In Q. you will want as much reflective insulation as you can get and you can only really do this properly when replacing the roof.

jay lee thanked Susan Clark
  • Austere Hamlet
    last month

Personally I'd go woodland grey. Surfmist is really no different to look at than galvo. Woodland grey is only a mid tone so it won't heat your house up like a black would. It's a very smart colour. We have a modern queenslander on the properties near us, new house built qlder style. It's blue-grey with woodland grey roof. Looks very smart.

jay lee thanked Austere Hamlet
  • JE C
    last month

I'm another vote for surfmist. Love your house, it is very cute.

jay lee thanked JE C
  • swiftlauren
    last month

Suggest getting zincalume and having no colour...the natural colour of zincalume is a lovely silver and it’s extremelydurable plus you never have to worry about colour fade, which we had previously with colourbond. Also zincalume is more cost efficient.

jay lee thanked swiftlauren
  • Michelle Archard
    last month

I agree with SwiftLauren - go with the more traditional look of zincalume - will reflect the heat and keep the house cooler and it’s cheaper.

jay lee thanked Michelle Archard
  • goshdarnit
    last month

Whilst zincalume ends up being lovely, I think Surfmist will look a little more polished.

I have it myself, and love it.

The bounce back effect of radiant heat that you get away from the planet's surfacein a white/near white roof, offsets the carbon/heat generated by about 70 (??? don't quote me on that), cars per year. I do remember that it was a significant amount anyway - if we could offset just our car, I'd be happy. Anyway, I love our Surfmist, and the reduction in cooling bills has been worth it. I live in Adelaide and you know we get up to 45c easily in summer, sometimes worse - like the day it was 49, I had to go to language class, and the glue in my shoes melted.

jay lee thanked goshdarnit
  • jay lee
    Original Author
    last month

@goshdarnit Thank you very much for your advice. I think anything in a positive move to help the planet is a good move! I do worry about the roof looking dirty with the surfmist as the white picket fence is a total pain, I notice every bird dropping gggrrrrrrr! The house is surprisingly cool in summer, but i am lucky to have lovely old windows and high ceilings to thank for that. Wow! that is crazy hot! how are your winters then?

• jay lee
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

@Michelle ArchardThank you very much for your advice, I

do appreciate it! The house is surprisingly cool in summer, thanks to wide windows and high ceilings. I will definitely look into the Zincalume. thank you again

• jay lee
    Original Author
    last month

@JE C Thank you so much! it's not much but I sure do love it! Thank you for your time and opinion.

• jay lee
    Original Author
    last month

Just wanted to say a massive Thank You to everyone who has taken the time to help me out this decision and thank you for all your thoughts, ideas and opinions, it has been a massive help Thank you once again!

• goshdarnit
    last month

Hope you've been able to use all our inputs!

I've never noticed the surfmist roof to be dirty looking - my neighbour is always swearing about the bird poo on her darker roof. The fence is a lot closer than the roof for noticeable bird doings, lol. It's not quite white, anyway, it's got a silvery off white thing happening.

Our winters don't really get below 1 or 2 c at night and that's pretty rare. It's usually an average of 7 or 8 degrees at night and 14 to 16 in the day. It's very Mediterranean - long hot summer and short wet winter... The winter is pretty mild altogether... I'm still working with some succulent cuttings at the moment. Our winter would be like an Autumn in say, the UK?

Our Autumn time in Adelaide is when we plant a lot of stuff that others would put in in spring. Otherwise they just fry and die if spring planted, the UV is insane, they need winter to acclimate. Our grass is dead in summer and grows in winter... backwards! When we built I did a cactus and succulent yard with no lawns - grass is black hole to put money in, down here!

• amonymousanne
    last month

Shale grey is a good light option , and with the sun on it looks like the zincalume but without the glare .

• Audrey1967!
    25 days ago

surfmist or zincalume

• 94236633
    24 days ago

Gorgeous cottage. My vote is Zincalume. It will look dreamy when you have planted out your garden ( except for those spiky things out front that don’t go, IMO).