Houzz Logo Print
webuser_272914

Baltic v Cypress pine floorboard renovation

HU-272914
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a 1920s house with Baltic pine floorboards throughout, yellowed with age to a warm honey colour. During a 1990s renovation the dining room was tiled on top of the floorboards. I would like to return the dining room to floorboards in a way that will look Ok with the existing flooring, I know it will never match exactly. The lounge and dining room are now one open plan area.

The advice I have received is that the existing floorboards under the tiles are unlikely to be reusable, due to staining from the glue or bitumen used to stick them down. I wouldn’t choose the yellow aged look if I was starting from scratch but I don’t mind it and given my limited budget I would prefer not to sand the whole house.

So my choices seem to be to replace the dining room floor with new cypress pine and a natural varnish, or use recycled Baltic pine which costs an extra $1000 and no guarantee it won’t contain borers or termites. I have been advised against trying to colour match using a stain as it would never match exactly.

I prefer the look of the Baltic to Cypress, but am concerned about borers and wondering if it's worth the additional cost. What are your thoughts?

Comments (3)