martymonster

front exterior and extention layout

Marty Hoges
last month

Hey Everyone,
I am looking at adding a large 2 storey extension on the rear of my property. its a 830m2 block and I want to keep a lot of the land for kids to play in the future.
Should I change the front? modernise it or make it look order? the extension will be a concrete bunker being encased by a monument coloured colorbond.
photo's are of the existing layout and my rough drawings. All suggestions welcomed Also the top right corner is North Facing.

MB Design & Drafting
    last month

Front facade looks quite classic and timeless. The brick pier looks like a later addition as the brick appears to be a different. Perhaps just render and paint the pier. I would also have the landscape improved, I would go with something formal but basic.

The rear addition looks excessive and could be easily reduced back into be in proportion to the existing. This will allow more yard space amongst a myriad of other improvements such as build costs, thermal performance, etc.

You'll lots of good advice here but certainly engage a design professional thats suitable for your project.

• Kate
    last month

I agree. I’d update the porch to give a hint of modern beyond. But if you want a full 2020 house then go ahead and update all, its your money and house.

• Related Discussions

Advice needed on Reno Plans: Exterior Solution

Q

Either on the left or centred looks good. I preferred the centre one. I think it comes down to function. If there is enough room to comfortably use the garages, and your guest room works better I'd go for the centre one. IMO the only thing that Is not working is the little add on gable over the new porch. It needs something up on the second level, but I'm not sure it's that. Maybe the porch can be extended into a verandah on the second floor. Or just give the porch roof a gable. Good luck with it.
    ...See More

Help with layout of master, ensuite & robe renovation

Q

Thank you both very much. You've both put a lot of thought and effort into this, its much appreciated! Its definitely opened up my thoughts and ideas on the space! Its definitely not as daunting as I was thinking and it is do-able! When you look at it everyday you get a bit stuck. I guess I need to weigh up making that study space smaller. It then makes the house technically 3B 2B. But I'm going to have to compromise somewhere for this to work! Its nice to have something tangible and clear to show the builders, so thank you! I might start drawing up something that's a little of both, as I love aspects of both designs. :)
    ...See More

Seeking design advice for my ground floor layout

Q

Last piece of advice simonsays - never "assume" anything - more often than not people sorting through this stuff on their own misjudge, either in under or over estimating what's involved, incorrectly thinking that it will be either easier or harder than it actually will be to achieve whatever it is......you need to define your various project requirements/details etc as a starting point, and have clarity on what aspects are more or less important for you. This also must include your budget BEFORE you put pen to paper working through the design solution...so if you want a 2-way fireplace, consider it now, and factor it in within the process of working through the costs (which should be occurring simultaneously.........also, remember that "design" is a process, working towards an outcome, which as always is about resolving project requirements to budget within a particular context/conditions.......the project outcome, whatever that is, will be very much determined by the design process and the extent it is invested in and executed....hope this all helps and best of luck with it all :) PD
    ...See More

What's the best layout for my fireplace?

Q

haha!!!! Siri - you can have your Eiffel tower angel... give me the beach any day :) Nic - perhaps some driftwood, shells and a jar of sand might help bring the beach to you - just don't knock your sand flying or you'll literally be able to crank up your fireplace and lie down on your sand to sunbake lol.
    ...See More
    Dr Retro House Calls
    last month

That is a lovely elevation with good proportions and handsome brickwork. It is classic and timeless, but your propsed renovation will look dated in 10 years!

There are lots of sympathetic options for extensions that are better than a lazily designed black box shoved on the back. They just take more time and design skills to get right.

Best of luck, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls and Dr Retro Virtual Visits.
    Dr Retro if Dr Retro

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for the feedback, I myself like the contrast of new from the old as I think it tells a story.
    I was thinking of charred timber cladding for the back.
    I agree with removing the pier and maybe replacing with timber.
    I am also looking at a concrete slate tile look for the front roof.

• dreamer
    last month

You have 830sqm, but your proposed plan shows an awkward and possibly dangerous staircase. This shaped staircase, in my opinion would not compliment your concrete bunker, nor the wonderful existing home. A stairwell with landing is easier and safer.

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

Yeah, the stairs are like that due to my limited knowledge of the app I used and also the powder room not having a door around the cupboard space.
    Also not having a door or wall at the entrance of the master bedroom. I would look at a landing for sure.
    thanks for the feedback.

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

also because I couldn't draw it, I would also have the stairs come out on the same angle as the wall on the outside. Again...just don't know how to draw it on the app.

last month
    last modified: last month

how will you use all the new space, will you build over the old house or only above the extension, will there be a garage, carport or outdoor entertaining area, do you have plans for upstairs and a site plan showing how much of the backyard will be left and please describe the local climate?

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

its central Victoria, so both a dry hot heat in Summer top of 45 and goes as low as minus 5 in winter. the top will counter lever by over a metre on the north side to give shade to the widows below.
    it will leave me 10m depth at the back and 6m down the side of the house.
    hope that makes sense.

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

Again rough as hell drawing

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

also the ground level has 3 meter height ceilings

last month

but what will all the rooms upstairs and down be used for...bedrooms, granny flat, upstairs bathroom, kids, guest bedrooms, rumpus, study?? and how many and what are the ages of the people who will live here or regularly stay overnight??

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

3 bedrooms upstairs a bathroom and playroom.
    Downstairs we are looking at kitchen, Pantry/Laundry, dinning and a family lounge.
    it is designed for a family of 4.

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

the second story will be on top of the new build only, to make it easier.

• pottsy99
    last month

Like everyone else , I suspect a 2 story bunker added on the back will look horrible -- it won't look right in the same bricks , it won't in colourbond , it definitely won't in charred wood , it MIGHT be passable in a mix of original brick and nice timber , but its going to look like a wedge .

It would be as bad or worse to try and render or similar , and try to make it look modern , unless you spend 6 figures and cut in bigger windows and doors etc .

BUT if you really , really want to go more modern and 2 storied , and this will depend on local planning rules , but maybe investigate building forward -- then you can possibly do a modern front , a reverse wedge type roof ( maybe in colour steel or similar instead of tiles ) , of course modern windows and doors , it would 'fix' that added roof and column because you'd demolish -- and you could then maybe render the entire sides , and maybe even leave the brick visible at the rear ? Of course , you'd have a bigger rear yard too , but a smaller front garden .

Just a thought .

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

thanks for the feedback, would love to go forward but this is the look I am after at the back. again rough!

• pottsy99
    last month

Have you consulted a builder or engineer ?

I'm just trying to imagine how the roof lines would all work out . I may be wrong , but it looks like you want part of the extension to overlap your existing roofline by 1.5-2 metres ? To do that , you'd be cutting ceiling joists , and then theres all the hassles with guttering along that join line , and water tightness etc , as well as the totally different styles and colours . Anything ( well , almost ) can be done , I can't get too excited when I imagine the likely end look though .

• C P
    last month

You need an architect. I quite like what you're proposing but there is a lot of wasted space in your floor-plan and there are better ways to tie in new and old without this shed add-on you've designed. I'm really comfortable with modern box add-ons to old homes but they have to be really well designed or else they are ghastly.
    This will be a very expensive build so you're mad to not engage an architect.

• JE C
    last month

I like what you are doing too and your thoughts on materials. I think you are the right track if you glean what you can from this group and then give an architect a well cosidered brief.

last month
    last modified: last month

do you have any 3D views of the extensions that also includes the original house, a google earth view of the roof and/or some photos of he rear of the house and is the new downstairs floor to be at the same level as the original floor, how many steps down from inside to the ground level at the back door, which side is the 6 m setback, what is the distance from the other side of the house to the fence and is there a planned or existing garage?

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

the old house and new house will only be joined by the lower hallway.

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

Sorry no 3D views as I said this is a concept, I was thinking of going with a draftsman that a friend recommended. He has done a number of modern extensions like this but this is my concept with no design background.

I worked from the top level down as my partner is after larger bedrooms for children and as an introvert she wants the children to have a larger room to escape to.

The kitchen will be on the boundary line and I will use the angle hallway to also change the height of the ceilings from 2.4 to 3m.

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

No planned garage, no room at the front and will lose too much land at the back

• Kate
    last month

If your children are all with one generation make their bedrooms similar sizes or there will be arguments and jealously.

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

Yeah, only looking at having 2 kids and they are identical sized bedrooms.

last month
    last modified: last month

some suggestions for your renovation and extension

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you, that looks great

last month
    last modified: last month

you may notice that my suggestion has the extensions away from the fence as, although you may get permission to build downstairs on the boundary, upstairs usually has to be set back and there appears to be plenty of space to avoid having to build on the boundary and, despite a cantilevered upstairs being exciting having the verandah posts downstairs will make the construction much cheaper and no less attractive but i think it's a mistake to ignore the need for a covered carspace and with the width and length of the block and distances from the house to the side and front boundaries, we could see where that could be included..keeping in mind that the covered space is more for people getting in and out of the car under cover with kids and groceries and to have somewhere secure to keep the lawnmowers etc it's not really about the car

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

undercover parking is important, as i have a large hedge out the front i went to the council about putting a carport out the front for 2 cars side by side. I will need planning permits to attempt this and i will look at it in the future.

I am not a fan of tandem carports

last month

when making plans for renovations and extensions we've found that it's always best to include everything you may want in future even if the carport and an extra rumpus room etc isn't built together as separate plans and applications are usually much more expensive

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks, but with your or my design I won't need a planning permit.
    however if i do the carport I will need one and I am after the $25,000 from the government.

last month

please explain how you can add, by my suggested floorplan, a 220sq two storey extension without a development application? btw your design was much bigger and also had the special extras of building on the boundary ..

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

I still need a building permit but not a planning permit, which I was told by the builder and the council. Correct me if that is wrong? as long as it is on the boundary or 200mm away the design will be ok.

last month

this isn't a simple modest extension so i suggest you ask for more advice from local building inspector and you may also be able to access some specific details online eg required setback, roof height, roof shapes and overshadowing allowed for upstairs (an extra reason for considering the extension as a concrete slab on ground with minimum height ceilings upstairs and down) and a hip roof may be easier to squeeze within the requirements than your gable but you need local specific professional advice and a shadow plan would also be useful

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

thanks for the advice

Paul Di Stefano Design
    last month

What's your budget? That will control everything. Unless you have at least $600K+ min. for something like this you'll have to curtail the dreams demonstrated here............also concur with Retro - there is a much more elegant way of managing an extended building form from a traditional frontage - yes juxtaposing new to old can work, but it needs to take cues from existing and have certain scaling and detail connection, which typically involves expertise and understanding of architectural language and style from both bygone and contemporary eras.............most people trying to DIY extensions/reno design have issues around two main things. 1. Not understanding how design decisions translate to construction costs in the real world and 2. Making critical decisions in the wrong order. Best outcomes are derived from resolving function & practicality first, with aesthetic options evolving appropriately/naturally from that...and of course always making decisions pegged back to budget, contextual and regulatory constraints. Unless you have a comprehensive understanding of these constraints and how to manage them with design, then you're just pushing it uphill. Whilst you can try, you'll hit issues. Your best chance is getting an experienced design professional on board. There is never a single "best" option - there are infinite various of planning possible that will tick the boxes of your needs/requirements. The key is finding the best balance, which takes time, investment and experience.

.......this design work and skill still requires human brain work - there is no app that can used as a substitute or a fast-track......

Good luck & stay safe, PD :)

www.pauldistefanodesign.com

• me me
    last month

When I was looking to buy I visited a house that had had a double storey addition at the back. What can I say, the agent said it is different. After looking through it, we just looked at each other and I said, no comment. It was horrendous and a total waste of money for the owners.

• differentways
    last month

The following example extends your new extension out across the old driveway to the boundary.width of driveway not known

I don't necessarily mean you should paint the original house black as well it's just easier for me to show it that way

• differentways
    last month

siriuskey

In a softer colour

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

So what about a Hampton look at the back in timber with the same red brick around the back and for the chimney? the other choice is to take it down and start again

• Marty Hoges
    Original Author
    last month

New Design

last month
    last modified: last month

you're not allowing enough space for the stairs and walking paths through all the rooms .if you add scale sized furniture you'll see that you need better placement for doorways and a views of the toilet from the front door is not pleasant but i like a garage but what happened to the original house and have you won the lottery?

• pottsy99
    last month

There doesn't appear to be a dining room downstairs ? I can't read what a couple of the rooms are , but none of the pics look like a table and chairs .

last month

The latest plan is terrible. Is it drawn to scale?
    Downstairs toilet needs a basin. And if the three minor bedrooms upstairs are to be used frequently then the toilet need to come out of the bathroom. The master suite is terribly out of proportion.

• Kate
    last month

You have some great dreams. An architect will help you turn some to reality.