Houzz Logo Print
webuser_407016165

Problems with a raised garden bed

HU-407016165
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Over a year ago next door built a raised garden bed against my house wall.

beginning of the year I discovered it wasn’t in their DA. I contacted council over it And they told the owners to remove it. The owners then applied for a building certificate to ratify it.

By that stage I was seeing signs of dampness coming through as the raised bed goes approx 41cm above my floor boards. Despite my objections on this the council passed it.

At the end of July we had some very heavy rain for about four days. My power sockets were tripped one night for four hours. A damp proofing company traced the damp to the wall where the raised bed is and said that was the probable cause.

The next day I took off the skirting board with the help of a handy man. The back of it was covered in clear water and part of the skirting board, which had been there for years, showed recent signs of wet rot.

So armed with a civil engineers report as well as two reports froom damp proofing companies stating the probable cause of the damp wall is the resided be I presented this to council.

Council came back and said they were satisfied that the owners had damp proofed my wall.

And so it seems like the end of the matter with them. But I still have this serious problem.

I had pointed out to council that their builder had been highly irresponsible. At one stage he broke our sewage pipe, which is a party line, and blamed us! We are talking high scale abuse here!

He also attached their side passage fence onto our house and attached their extension onto our house which I have been told is illegal. I was also told by their architect that they had to leave a gap between my house wall and their building. But they sacked him before they completed the work.

The other think I pointed out to Council is how could they know if my wall has been properly damp proofed when it has already been built. Also I had read they needed to ask my permission to put any damp proofing material onto my wall. Which they never did. Also I pointed out to council that it was bad practice to allow raised beds against someone house wall even if the damp proofing was good as all damp proofing only has a life. The havent address any of my concerns nor have they come out and looked at what is going on with my walls. I have spoken to many government depts including the ombudsman, building NSW, and Dept fair trade. They are all shocked that council have allowed this to happen but none can help. But I need to go back to the ombudsman.

Can anyone offer advice or tell me why a large city council would be so irresponsible?

Comments (8)