Houzz Logo Print
yeahgreat

Creaking noises heard downstairs when someone is walking upstairs

Michael Greene
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all. I've recently purchased and moved into my first property. It's a two-storey townhouse, built about 4 years ago.

Upstairs has floorboards in the landing area, carpets in the bedrooms and tiles in the bathroom. When I'm walking upstairs, there are a few areas which creak when I walk over them, but it‘a barely noticeable.

However - my concern is the the creaking noises caused by people walking upstairs are coming through a lot more audibly downstairs. I can hear a creaking / squeaking (straining noise) with most of the steps they take upstairs - no matter where they are walking. I can't remember any double storey house I've lived in being this loud from above, but it's possible I just never noticed before?

I have read a bit about this potentially being caused by the subfloor being nailed (instead of screwed or glued) onto the joists, which have loosened. But would this cause more noise below than above the floor being walked on?

Is this a common problem? Will this issue continue to get worse? Or should I just learn to ignore it?

Thanks.

Comment