Houzz Logo Print
raineyann

Looking for info/ideas on floor tiles

Lorraine Cobcroft
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi

The home we recently purchased is about 13 years old and has 600 x 600mm polished porcelain tiles on the floors in most rooms. They are a very pale creamy colour with the faintest veining (almost indiscernible) - high gloss, and extremely durable.

A tile store employee told me polished porcelain is no longer available and the tiles would have had to be sealed after laying. Can anyone tell me more about this type of tile and how to care for it please?

We have rearranged the kitchen cabinets to extend the kitchen and open it up to the outdoors, and we find we are two tiles short to fill the resulting gaps in the flooring. As matching is almost impossible, we need to find a way to incorporate some contrasting tiles to look like a feature.

I've attached the kitchen plan showing where tiles are missing (hatched) and also a plan of the entire kitchen/living area, which is one very large room.

The cabinets are two-pack off-white (trending to the palest shade of grey) and benches and splashbacks are Laminam Naturali Calacatta Michelangelo (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=laminam+naturali+calacatta+michelangelo&id=9B196A8DED4657697BD332D07D7E0017130740A7&form=IQFRBA&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover) - white with light grey and gold veining. There will be polished camphor laurel timber features in the kitchen (table, bookcase under the island, and benchtop on cabinets on the servery wall. Walls and trims are painted Hog Bristle half (a light creamy colour). Furnishings are predominantly very dark timbers and chocolate upholstery with cream and red/brown highlights.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for patching the floor in a way that creates a nice feature.

Thanks for any suggestions clever Houzz designers can offer. (The fabulous kitchen/scullery/pantry layout is the result of a Houzz advice request, answered by some smart designers. Thanks!)

Comments (4)