Houzz Logo Print
mrayson

Undercroft carport/garage extension to existing house

Marc R
3 years ago

I've seen this topic raised before a few years ago but never really answered to its full extent.. now that a few years have passed, who has completed an undercroft extension and what was your journey (and costs, process, any new technologies, pain points) like? Ideally in Perth but good to hear from other states too.

My story: we live in Perth, Scarborough and are looking to extend/renovate. Our property is at the back of a battle axe block at the top of a very steep drive way. The front is heavily retained and is where we would like to add an undercroft garage. I know the exercise is not going to be a cheap one - chemical grout injection, plus earth works, plus difficult access. Regardless, I want to have the work appropriately scoped out and priced as I think the upside down the line will out weight the cost.

To save on costs I was thinking we could not excavate all the way down to the point where it keeps the current front area level (refer to second picture.. i.e. have a 1-1.5m rise). Yes, not ideal to have multiple levels at the front but there needs to be some give and take. I was thinking the newly raised area could be a deck area which would take advantage of the views in any case.

Comment