Houzz Logo Print
kiraanne

FLOORPLAN HELP - CUSTOM BUILD (we are newbies)

kiraanne
3 years ago

Hello everyone!

My partner and I have started designing our floor plans and as we are nearing the final stages we are nervous as it is our first time and don't really know what we are doing and would be grateful for an extra set of eyes to glance over and see if we have any design flaws or things we could do better (as we only get one shot!).

We have a very steep sloped block and our main aim was to create large, open spaces and really take advantage of our views to the front of the property and to the north as we are up quite high. We love to entertain so wanted our balcony with the views to be the 'heart' of the home if you will.

The rumpus room was a late addition as the house is 40sq and we only had one living area and thought we may have been wasting space. We are a young couple so will likely be wanting to use this as a room to put the pool table and maybe a little bar but can be turned into a second living room type area later on down the track. I will be working from home a lot so a study is really important to me however we have included a BIR in case this needs to be turned into a fourth bedroom in the future if need be.

We have made lots of changes so far and I have attached the most recent plans from today - we have narrowed it down to three main issues which are are:

1. The powder room - this was originally next to the laundry and the laundry and pantry were bigger, but we had to make these smaller and move the powder room in order to create a space for the rumpus room. We have placed the powder room under the stairs now but we really wanted to have those 'floating' stairs which won't have the same effect if we can see through those straight into the toilet/wall. Anywhere else we put it the toilet door opened into the family/meals or kitchen which is also not ideal. Does anyone have any thoughts if it will be ok under the stairs as is?

2. Our master bedroom has a very large window for the views, however there is about 3.2m of roof below which will be quite unsightly. I am not sure how we can fix this - the best I have come up with is having the window start from hip/belly button height so that we won't look down on the roof like a window seat sort of thing?

3. The upstairs kind of looks a bit like Tetris and we are worried the hallway will feel jagged and narrow - it might be okay but we just aren't sure!

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions about the above or about anything else we would be really, really grateful!! Very nervous!!

Thank you! :)

Comments (17)