webuser_596859298

What window frame colour should I pick?

Row Star
8 days ago
last modified: 8 days ago

i am changing all the windows. I would appreciate any advice on what window frame colour I should choose. I am also considering Changing the colour or the painted timber pergola etc. Thank you

• Kate
    8 days ago

Either stay with brown or maybe cream to lighten everything but that would look 90’s v 80ls

• Related Discussions

What colour should I paint my exterior?

Q

Thanks Anne and I will look at pale grey given the maintenance considerations. I have already paid for a colour consultant who was great but the Reckless grey she suggested for the house render and basalt gutters/fascia and front wall were too grey when we had the render samples put on and while it had a modern look, it was not giving the beach/coastal feel. I will head back into our inspirations paint store this morning to see if I can find the warm grey colours that have the most similar colour make up to Dune, and go from there. Anne you don't happen to know the dulux colour most close in composition to Colorbond Dune so I know where to start? Thanks again and I would love to hear from anyone who has got a dune roof and hear if they tried light coloured gutters and what render colours they have used on their walls.
    ...See More

What Colour Should I Paint my Exterior Bricks?

Q

Unless you have the money to update everything else to better complement the bricks, painting them will give you a much more updated look. Over the past 18mths I’ve been working on the front and landscape of my current house, including painting the bricks and it has made the world of difference! I’ve attached a before and after photo! Good luck.
    ...See More

Match exterior aluminium window frame colour and wall colour.

Q

some photos would explain the dilemma
    ...See More

ADVICE NEEDED - What color should I paint the door??

Q

Can you post any more photos including the staircase, and how the room next to the staircase is accessed interesting extension not following in the traditional manner of the house, Always follow KISS, keep it simple S for the best result. You could add a traditional front door in black but I don't think it necessary as from what I can see in the photo is the entrance and door already have a lot of character. The lovely Picket will look less fussy if done in one colour quoting Taking the new build/old build divide quite literally, the existing cottage has been redefined as a crisp white entity. In a street of Heritage vernacular, where every architectural shift is picked out in a nuanced tone, this is a drastic departure in itself. Add to this the decision to present the new addition in solid black, and the radical nature of the build becomes apparent (Dulux low sheen black and Lexington white). http://www.wrightsonstewart.com.au/wilston-project
    ...See More
    8 days ago

A deep colour vote from me. Cream would def look dated and not compliment home.

• robandlyn
    8 days ago

I agree with dark charcoal, would update and bring out those colours in the bricks.

• Row Row
    8 days ago

Thanks so much for the input. My husband got the quote from the window place for black frames and I couldn’t get my head around how that would look. I never considered cream but had thought about a dark charcoal.
    The standard colour range we have to choose from doesn’t include any browns so that isn’t an option and I also would like to move away from mission brown. I’ve been slowly working it out of the inside of the house!

• Row Row
    8 days ago

This is the colour range we have to choose from

8 days ago

I like both Monument and Woodland Grey.

• robandlyn
    8 days ago

I agree either Monument or Woodland grey - but what colour is your roof? Hard to see from photos, but from what I can see, Woodland Grey would probably tone in better.

If the front door could be Woodland grey too it would look great :)

• differentways
    8 days ago

I like the idea of a dark grey but my concern is with the colour of the roof. I have the same vintage house and have kept the windows but changed timber colour to a grey green it was orange pink

Because of the roof if you are replacing all the widows I would go mat black.

• Row Row
    8 days ago

Here is a picture where the roof tiles are visible. However I’ve got to say there really is not many places that we can see the roof. I had to stand up at the road to get this photo.

• Row Row
    8 days ago

We are planning to change or paint the garage door as well. Not sure what colour for that either!

• robandlyn
    8 days ago

It gets confusing when you start changing one thing just how far to go doesn't it !? :)

It's really a matter of personal preference but I like a cohesive look. From what I can see of roof I think Woodland Grey would work and I would do garage door same colour.

But what about the very brown downpipe?? In other words, once you start one change, where do you stop?

8 days ago

Garage door and anything else you can paint in the same colour.

• Row Row
    8 days ago

Where do I stop.... Exactly! I don’t know the answer to that one.

• C Lawther
    7 days ago

Accent colours all same. Windows, garage doors, down pipes, pergola, and don’t forget the fascias and gutters in Monument or W / grey. Woodland grey does have a greener tone than Monument so Monument is my first choice.
    Trend for dark colour for homes so unless you’re rendering the brick just stay with above suggestions.
    Have you considered painting window frames rather than replacement. Save cost and you’ll see what colour looks like.

• julie herbert
    7 days ago

We painted our window frames using Dulux weather shield , looks great and saved replacing windows.

• Kate
    7 days ago

Having reviewed this again, I’d do monument Matt, or black, but to brighten entry, a bright front door colour behind a monument of black screen
    I have woodland grey on my gutters and think it wouldn’t be right for your colours

• Row Row
    6 days ago

This is a great help. I think that Monument or Black is going to be the best. It really helps to see it on the pictures, thank you.
    Great idea about painting the windows to test the colour. I’ll do that this weekend. We do want to change them for soundproofing however.
    Do you think the colour scheme should be
    Bricks
    Black or monument window frames and barge boards etc.
    The reddish brown down pipes we have

If so, should I paint the pergola or leave it mission brown?

• robandlyn
    6 days ago

What colour will you do the garage door?

I'm really worried black is going to be too harsh with the look of your house and against your roof. There is charcoal colour in your bricks but not dark black.

The darkest I'd go is Monument, and I'd do all the trims, garage door, downpipes etc the same colour for conformity.

It's all personal opinion, but you don't want it ending up like a patchwork quilt! The brick is already quite busy.

• Row Row
    6 days ago

Yes I understand what you are saying. I don’t want to much confusion of colours. So do you think just 2 elements (the monument and the brick) is enough, or should I add one more colour?

6 days ago

Two colours only for your vintage house. Plus the garden. And if you need it a wooden deck.

• suancol
    6 days ago

Colours are important but if in an area of extremes please consider double glazed Upvc frames for greater comfort in living

• robandlyn
    6 days ago

Yes, would only go two elements - monument and brick for the actual house.

Can add eye catching landscaping, or even some beautiful large pots in a brighter colour with plants near your front door. But keeping the house with 2 elements will look far more classy than a mish mash, that can tend to look like someone has run out of a certain colour paint halfway through and made up with whatever they had ! :)

• Row Row
    6 days ago

Yes that sounds good.
    We were going to change the front door to varnished timber. We have a deck out the back that is painted in a ‘paperbark’ colour (stone/beige). I would not want to change that to Monument or black as it would get too hot and be too dark but I have considered changing the boards them for a natural timber look.
    About the uPVC double glazing, do you know if they are better than hush laminated 6.5mm glass? We have been quoted on the laminated glass but a couple of people have since told me that the double glazing is better.

• Dm Stan
    6 days ago

Row Star, please share some before and after photos. We’re currently facing almost the same choices for the same reasons.

The colours your window supplier is offering seem to be a bit limited. Maybe check with another window place.

This chart is from a search for “colourbond window colours”.

• Dm Stan
    6 days ago

I’ve spray painted some of our window frames. It may help to see how it looks when ’Primrose’ (stale cream) frames become ‘Monument’.

It looks heaps better on the inside - way more modern - but I’m concerned it may be too heavy for the front of the house, especially when gutters and other trims are painted in such a dark colour. See, same prob as you! Monument looks fine here, on the side of the house, but it‘s accompanied by Surfmist on the pergola.

At one stage, I was going to paint the garage door black. I even bought the paint. Then I spotted a neighbour had already done it. It looks way, way too harsh, so I’ve got 4 litres of black Metalflex if anyone wants it! :-)

• Dm Stan
    6 days ago

Question to Julie Herbert : Are any of

the window frames you painted in direct,

full afternoon sun? Have they seen a full summer yet? How did the surface hold up?

Will a spray job survive Adelaide’s often pretty harsh summers?

• Melissa Sinclair
    6 days ago

I've used Monument on a warm toned brick house, and wouldn't again. It has blue undertones that I didn't notice until it contrasted with the red undertones of the bricks.

I quite like your house the way it looks now though, and don't have experience to give a professional opinion, but I think I prefer something like woodland grey for your beautiful home.

• Row Row
    6 days ago

In regards to the monument ‘blue tones’. This is something I am concerned with. I am worried that we would be actually introducing another colour. However, black seems so heavy. Woodland grey doesn’t really appeal to me but perhaps it is the best match and I should get a tub of that to check.
    The garage door is such a dominant part of the front of our house I’m scared to make it very dark and it sounds like you (DM Stan) have had the same issue. What colour did you end up painting the garage door? I like the monument windows, much better than cream.

If I had the money I think I’d get a wood grain look garage door!

5 days ago

A timber door would look great as you say at a cost, I would suggest trying one of the following three colours for the door.

I would paint the gutters, barge boards, pergola as shown and matching the tiled roof that can be seen from the street, important to take that into consideration. Windows black

• Dm Stan
    5 days ago

Row Row, I'd prepared these before I saw siriuskey has already done something similar. At the risk of repetition, I'll post the mocks up showing dark, medium and light options - they may still be useful.

I haven't replaced or repainted our garage door yet. I was going to paint it black until I realised that would be a mistake. We're at the same stage as you - scratching our heads, nervous about making the wrong choice. I'm even considering rendering the street frontage, to open up more options and minimise the number of colours going on. Have you considered that too?

It looks like our homes have got similar coloured brown roof tiles. They will dictate to both of us to varying degrees. You're lucky, you're flat roof doesn't make the brown as obvious as our pitched roof - unfortunately, the pitch makes the roof color dominate. Great, isn't it; as soon as you start trying to update homes of this era, everything around the improvement suddenly needs doing as well. $$$$. All the best with your decision making :-)

• Sam Triglone
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Here's the color scheme I went with on a house that was a similar color scheme as you can see in the before pic. I used Dune on the facscias and Woodland Grey on the gutters, the window frames themselves I spraypainted a light grey but I think Dune on the frames would have a similar effect. I chose the grey because I needed to match a new anodised sliding door that I couldn't paint and grey was the closest match.

• Margaret Barkley
    5 days ago

I like the lighter Dune colour in the last picture above by Sam T. It brings out the lighter colours in the bricks and doesn’t look so heavy.

• Row Row
    5 days ago

Wow thanks for all the images. It does make it clearer to picture. Dm Stan and siriuskey the garage door images make it much easier to visualise. And Sam Triglone your colour scheme works nicely in a more gentle way. My mind is now quite confused.
    I guess the good thing is, I can paint the garage and if it doesn’t work I can repaint it.
    Over the weekend I spent a bit of time driving around looking at similar brick houses to mine. I saw this one which had painted everything black (I think). It looked good. I also saw one (which I didn’t get a pic of) that painted everything in a dark grey that had a bluish undertone, which was perhaps monument. It was not so good.

• robandlyn
    5 days ago

I'm confused! I agree that the house in the picture painted above does look really good - but to me that certainly doesn't look like black! (could just be the way it is showing on my screen?) It looks like a dark grey with blue undertones - which is what makes it look so good, it brings out those exact colours in the bricks. If it was proper black it would look way darker even in the sunlight.

If that house is in your area you could try leave a note in the mailbox or knock on the front door to ask the colour - most people are very obliging :)

But colour aside - it does give you an idea of how good it looks to have everything apart from the bricks in one colour.

• julie herbert
    5 days ago

Yes the painted window frames are in full sun and cop the four seasons in a day Melbourne sometimes gives us, painted 6 years ago and still look great, also painted our pull down sun blinds using same paint and a roller, still look great.

• Dm Stan
    5 days ago

Thanks, Julie. That’s mega helpful info. Can I clarify one thing? What material are the blinds? Metal roller shutters? Canvas awning?

Apologies to Row Row for the little side convo within your thread. :-)

• Dm Stan
    5 days ago

Row Row, top idea to go around the neighbourhood to see what colours look good on similar bricks to yours. If you see something you really like, maybe go back at different times of the day - full sun and shadow.

I’m with robandlyn, the fascia boards above the windows don’t look black on the house you found. Balconies could be ??

You‘ve mentioned Monument throwing blue. Are you sure it’s not Ironstone you’re thinking of? I’m only suggesting that because I’ve got Monument fences. They don’t throw blue in any light. I’ve painted window frames Monument and until I added a top coat of clear gloss they threw green, not blue. Although that may have been due to the Primrose colour I was covering. Maybe talk to someone at (say) Bunnings paint dept. They’ll be able to tell you the dominant tones in each colour.

In the meantime tho, this may help. Here’s the 2 colours together. The RGB shows how much red, green and blue the colour has. Monument has a tiny amount more blue (51) than red and green (50). Ironstone has more blue (76).

That medium option I sent (of the garage door) was based on Dune.

I‘m as confused about which colour to pick as you. Perhaps we need to share a vino! :-)

• Row Row
    5 days ago

Ha ha, yeah! When I scrolled down and saw those two colours, before I read the names, I was sure that it was black on the left and monument on the right! So there you go, my understanding of these colours is way off. I think I will try and knock on the door of that house and ask them the colour.
    When I was outside it looked black all apart from some of the concrete horizontal edges. But now I look at the photo, I agree, that doesn’t look black. The balcony rails are black - definitely, I think :)

• Dm Stan
    5 days ago

Before I get to the point of sample pots, I’m going to take a close up of our bricks, print it out and take it to the paint shop to match it with colour cards with the hope of narrowing down the possibilities. I’ll then grab a heap of each of those colour cards, stick them together to make a large sample that I can attach to (say) the gutters or fascia, and then stand back on the other side of the road to see what it really looks like. A 6x5cm sample just ain’t gonna cut it!

When you door knock, check how long ago it was painted. The fascia board could have faded a bit. :-)

• HU-925555113
    4 days ago

I like the dark option in your mock ups DM Stan. And Row Row, I like the colours in the neighborhood house that you posted.

• julie herbert
    4 days ago

They are canvas pull down blinds, I trimmed the scalloped edging off them so they have a more modern look. Still looking great.

• Dm Stan
    4 days ago

Thanks, Julie. That’s encouraging news. I was a bit worried that our paint selections would be restricted to a degree by the colour of our awnings. If they can handle a paint job too, that’s great. Ta!

• Row Row
    3 days ago

Hey, I saw another house that seemed to make a good job of choosing colours to work with the bricks. It looked like they had 4 colours
    Brick
    Dark grey or black (roof edge)
    Paperbark pale beige colour (garage door)
    Mushroom brown grey colour (fascia above garage)

• Castlemaine Renos
    2 days ago

A deep Indian Red or a charcoal gets my vote 😊

• Row Row
    2 days ago

Well, the gutters are a deep red so that would be a convenient colour scheme!

• N T
    16 hours ago

Definitely Monument window frames.

• Dm Stan
    15 hours ago

Here‘s (a very dusty) Monument fascia on the left, Surfmist pole on the right of multi-coloured brick.

• Row Row
    1 hour ago

Very nice

• Row Row
    59 minutes ago

Frames are black? Fascia monument?