Houzz Logo Print
raineyann

Tile over, microcement or sheeting to cover shower walls and floor?

My bathrooms are tiled floor to ceiling and I can't match the tiles, but I want to add walls to replace large glass screens, remove ugly soap holders that aren't even within reach, and cover unattractive 'feature' tiles. (If not for the 'feature' tiles, I would just use a contrasting tile for the new walls, but I fear the two would clash and I really want to be ride of the 'feature'.) I also need to cover the very slippery polished porcelain tiled shower floor which has off-white grout that is impossible to keep clean.

I have looked at Mr Wet Wall, Spa Panel, Bellini, Vistelle and Reflections. I've also seen ads for microcement and Venetian Plaster (both of which sound like excellent options) and various brands of epoxy coating. And I've looked at Dekton and Silestone sheeting and shower bases.

I am nervous of epoxy coatings because I've seen some not-so-great jobs done. I fear some of the acrylic sheeting products might look cheap. And I suspect Dekton or Silestone will work out very costly.

I like the look of Microcement and Venetian Plaster, based on photos in web galleries, but I've never seen an actual job.

I also believe it's possible to just tile over the existing tiles (which are stuck very well and would be a nightmare to try to remove), but that would still leave me with grout lines, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Can anyone offer advice on any of these options please?

Comments (17)