Houzz Logo Print
webuser_266150364

Need to upgrade this 80s pebblecrete pool with ugly waterfall

HU-266150364
3 years ago

We are renovating our coastal Queensland house and cannot figure out what to do with this pool, given that it is not all on one level. Cutting the pebblecrete back would require some pretty serious retaining walls, as our property sits lower than the neighbour's.

We desperately want to to get rid of the waterfall but are not sure how to cover up the mess that would be left behind.

Comments (11)

• User
    3 years ago

You have cut back some plants , whereas I would actually add more larger leafier plants , and strange as it may initially seem , add more rocks around the waterfall , BUT have some planters inbedded amoungst the rocks , with smaller plants in them .

Basically , hide the existing surround , with larger plants around the edge , and more rocks and small gardens to cover at least a couple of metres around the pool surround -- make your own semi-tropical oasis !

The right work of art or sculpture or aged timber may add to it too , but thats pretty risky IMO , whereas if you stick to a common theme with your plants and rocks , it's visually 'safer' .

• HU-266150364
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Totally understand what you mean, but we tried that and it still looked horribly dated.

We want to get rid of it altogether, it's just not the look that we want and doesn't go with a contemporary house. Thanks

• Black Bamboo
    3 years ago

Pay the $$$ and replace the pool. As you say it has a very definite vibe that isn't easily going to be disguised. Or consider decking over the toilet bowl surround so only the submerged part of the pool is visible. But still it's a pool that was always designed to look like a lagoon so that may not work satisfactorily either. I think its very difficult to change the overall vibe of this piece.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

I would suggest you hire a Professional , either a pool or landscape designer or both to get some ideas

• bigreader
    3 years ago

I agree a professional opinion would be valuable. I’d smash (carefully) out the waterfall. I don’t think it’s original. Pebblecrete can be repaired and then surround with modern plantings. The idea of decking around it isn’t bad but I think without the waterfall and with improved plantings the curve could look quite modern. But if you’d like suggestions of how to make it work with your modern home we’d need pics of the house.

HU-266150364 thanked bigreader
  • julie herbert
    3 years ago

Great advice from siriuskey and bigreader, you could replace the rocks with a beautiful bowl, or even a stacked stone water feature, golden cane palms add a lush tropical look , but getting advice before you start is your best option.

HU-266150364 thanked julie herbert
  • jeanejoyce
    3 years ago

I would recommend that you have a discussion with a professional with knowledge of natural swimming pools as there may be a chance that you can convert your existing pool. It seems that the shelf lends itself to planting ( with a bit of adjustment). You could potentially add some deeper level water plants in areas outside the perimeter of the pool if this is required to provide the full filtration environment for a natural pool. Access can be via a timber platform to traverse the shelf area. The waterfall area would be much less of an eye sore once integrated with plants and some clever placement of rocks. I think you have a very exciting opportunity here to create something special.

• HU-834982180
    3 years ago

Budget usually governs how much can be done However, I also believe you don't have to spend a fortune to create something special. Painting the fence adding lush plantings and covering the pebblecrete surround of the pool with timber is one way to go. The fountain I would cover , box in and create a platform to sit on or place a diving board (if depth of pool allows). I also like the idea of timber panelling the wall of the concrete curve as well . If covering the pepple surround with timber or tiles is not an option , then consider coloured concrete which can be polished for a smooth "marble" stone look .

Good luck and enjoy !

HU-266150364 thanked HU-834982180
  • User
    3 years ago

I wonder if repainting the pool in that standard pool blue would help -- it seems to almost fade into the brown of the pebbles as it comes up the sides . By going to fresh blue up to the 'join' , it will look cleaner but also not as brown ,

Hard to tell , but I also wonder if the pebbles have been waterblasted or chemically cleaned lately ? As most of us have said , higher and leafier foliage around the edge will help , but a fresher , cleaner look for the pool won't hinder it either

HU-266150364 thanked User
  • HU-266150364
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Really appreciating all these ideas and comments, thank you!