Houzz Logo Print
webuser_592461044

Advice on resealing flat metal roof

Rob
3 years ago

Hi there,

I'm hoping for some advice on resealing my flat metal roof.

I woke up about a week ago with water dripping down the bedroom wall from my ceiling. Luckily the internal damage is minor and easily repairable, but obviously there is a leak coming through from the roof.

For reference the house is around 12 years old.

I've had two roofers come and take a look and both have quoted me on repairs.

The first roofer said the water was likely coming in through one particular screw which has a worn seal (second photo below) and that he could come back out, replace that one screw and do some quick sealing around some other screws. It'd be $150, but I suspect that if one of the screw's seal's has worn away there are likely more that need replacing, if not the whole lot. For $150 I don't expect this to be a good long term solution.

The second roofer essentially said all the screws needed covering in silicone, along with all the joins in the capping, box gutters etc. He said it wasn't really worth his time as it's a fairly simple job, but he would charge $1,850.

Based on those quotes, and given that it's supposedly a 'simple job', I'm thinking of doing the resealing myself to save money.

So, my question is, based on the attached photos do I essentially need to clean around all the joins and screws with soapy water and then apply something like Selleys Roof and Gutter Silicone to the joins and over top of the screws? Or would it be better to replace the roof screws entirely?

Also, is there a more suitable product to reseal the joins with other than silicone?

Many thanks for any guidance on this.

Comments (3)