Houzz Logo Print
webuser_548835165

Feedback on houseplan

Ssk josh
3 years ago

Hello all,

Looking for your feedback on the draft plan of our forever home. It's a double-storey 44sq house on a 576m2 east facing lot.

Thank you

Comments (14)

• Black Bamboo
    3 years ago

My first comment is, of course it's your forever home but you probably won't be living in it forever. Especially once the hips go and makes stairs impractical and cleaning such a large home onerous. With that out of the way, you can now feel free to have a home that doesn't have every single box ticked. It doesn't need to.

Reference - I live in grey nomad country, those large RV's are actually the permanent home of many over 60's who trade in a house and lots of maintenance and upkeep for life on the road and 5min cleans.

• Not sure why you need a walk-in pantry and butlers panty? Together they are as large as your actual kitchen. I would probably combine the two unless I were a family with 4 or 5 children and a live in nanny.
    • Meals area seems excessive in size particularly compared to the family room. You are only going to put a table and chairs there. It will be dwarfed by the space and you'll spend endless hours trying to something else to put in there to make it less empty.
    • Laundry also seems oversized unless of course you have a lot of washing. But a regular household could do with a space half that size.
    • I don't see the lounge in the front getting a lot of use particularly with the kitchen, family, meals and alfresco being very far away from it. The back end is where the family will be doing their living.

It seems to have a lot of footprint that honestly most average families wouldn't even use. Of course I don't know how big yours is. But the conventional wisdom seems to be go as big as possible. That's a bit of a furphy as what really matters is how well laid out and livable the floor plan is. I've seen super large homes that owing to the scale of the hallways and living areas end up feeling like corporate offices more than a home. Very impersonal and awkward. They don't look lavish at all, they just seem cavernous which is never a nice feeling in a family home. There is such a thing as too large. Furniture is all built to a particular scale that fits comfortably in average sized rooms.

• macyjean
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"I've seen super large homes that owing to the scale of the hallways and living areas end up feeling like corporate offices more than a home. Very impersonal and awkward. They don't look lavish at all, they just seem cavernous which is never a nice feeling in a family home. There is such a thing as too large."

Very well said Black Bamboo. I've seen houses that look like they need the indoor equivalent of a ride-on mower to clean the floor. If that's the first thing I think of when I see a large home then it has crossed the line into "too large".

I wondered about the kitchen too. It looks excessive so it's useful if people posting floorplans for feedback provide some reasoning for their choices. I suppose maybe if someone entertains a lot....?

The lounge by comparison with other rooms looks tiny. What will it be used for?

The study is also the access from the garage so will its purpose be compatible with the level of comings and goings, who will be using it and would a quieter location be more conducive to the study/work? A coat cupboard could be useful in that space.

Does the guest bedroom need a walk-in robe? They can be a waste of floorspace and corners in wardrobes are awkward to utilise. A larger ensuite or even separating the shower from the powder room might be a better use of the space?

I think the double garage is too narrow. (5.5m?)

Do you want feedback on the upper floor as well?

• Cee
    3 years ago

I presume north is up?
    I like the guest bedroom downstairs - always good for aging parents (or a broken ankle). Speaking of elders.. Is that part of the forever plan? If so, that front sitting room is in a good spot to make the guest's separate living room.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

the garage should be at least 6m wide and why not enter through the family room and make the study less of a thoroughfare and if the house faces east that means the backyard is west and garage is on the north east corner...how many and what ages are the people who will live in the house and/or stay overnight regularly, is it possible to swop the garage to the western side, what is the width and depth of the block and please post the upstairs plans and describe your local climate

• robandlyn
    3 years ago

I'm confused by a lounge the size of a smallish bedroom.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Why can I only see half of downstairs plan and no upstairs plan???

• macyjean
    3 years ago

When you click on it you can see the whole downstairs plan.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Macyjean that doesn’t help me. Not sure why. Sometimes once I comment it fixes itself but not this time.

• macyjean
    3 years ago

Oh, I see, that function isn't working for you. I was a little surprised by your question. What a frustrating glitch.

• dreamer
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

How do you access the WIP? Doesn't appear to be a door.

same with the prayer room?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

For @Kate

• PRO
    Foshan Yubang Cabinets
    3 years ago

Look great---

• Kate
    3 years ago

Thanks Dreamer. I just swapped from iPad to my iPhone and have the same single truncated image

• Kate
    3 years ago

I’m not keen on the windowless study. The garage store has potential for a window