beaumitchell

What do you think of this kitchen sink position?

beaumitchell
21 days ago
last modified: 19 days ago

Asking for a friend. "What are your thoughts on placement of kitchen sink? I am now swaying towards having it near the corner where the butlets pantry is and then having the hob move down. What do you think?"

20 days ago

Rotating the island is much better. But there is still the dual hallways next to each that are a waste is space. The WIRs in the minor bedrooms waste space. The cellar will be difficult to temperature control as its in the middle of the house. The study is quite pokey - what will it be used for?

20 days ago

As drawn this is going to be more expensive to build than it needs to be.

• Related Discussions

What do you think of this new kitchen layout?

Q

Hi there, Many thanks for your positive comment. As a rule leave at least 1 meter between the kitchen island and the rest of the kitchen. If I have space I like to leave 1.2m/1.4m and at a push I will reduce this to 0.9m. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Kitchen Cabinets - simply repainted! What do you think?

Q

Why thank you - I was quite surprised how well it turned out myself. I cleaned the surfaces, then wiped ESP product on all surfaces to be painted, waited 90mins, then 1st coat of oil based enamel white. I was impatient and did the second coat only about 4hours later. It took a Saturday morning and I was done :)
    ...See More

Tricky window and door situation – what do you think?

Q

Sofia, I'am sure that you will love the end result of every moment you have spent on this sometimes over whelming project and you like most will always find things that you would change, hindsight is wonderful. try to relax and enjoy your soon to be wonderful new kitchen. Before & after shots will show this. And guess what this won't be the last home you renovate.
    ...See More

Position of kitchen sink

Q

Does your daughter wash the dishes, or use a dishwasher? If she uses a dish washer, where is that positioned? If you are moving the sink are you moving the dishwasher? If the home is almost at lock up stage, then this change will be expensive. If using a dishwasher more often, I would really have to look at my budget to see whether the extra cost, and time delay really worth it.
    ...See More
  • Kate
    20 days ago

Yes to sketch. In bed 2 the wardrobe has a blind corner. Might be better using corner space as a cupboard off the hall. I’m a bit worried about the theatre. Not sure what is proposed in relation to walls as plan is not clear, but it appears to be a liveable space with no natural light or ventilation. Same with cellar. Check with a building surveyor or planner

20 days ago

This plan is from Pinterest. I think it is from a company called Lewis. It had almost the same list of accommodations as your friends plan but laid out in a much more cost effective and functional way.

• dreamer
    20 days ago

I also have issues.
    The two hallways next to each other leading to the same place.
    The WIR in the dining room, when the cellar is given so much space. Can the cellar be reduced, and the WIR be incorporated into the cellar, giving more room in the dining room.
    As mentioned previously, the island is in the middle of too many other walk throughs. As mentioned turning it 90 degrees would be better.

• dreamer
    20 days ago

Looking at the plan. Is this a renovation to an existing home??
    This would then explain the unusual placement of rooms, instead of a plan that flows.?

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    20 days ago

thank you everyone. The reason the house plan is laid out this way is because its a renovation. They are trying to work within the existing footprint without moving around too many wet areas etc. The cellar isn't actually a cellar. It is a games room for the teens to hang in and play their xbox etc. She liked the design of the two hallways to incorporate storage in each like a drop zone area from the garage. Guests will just use the main entrance. My friend asked what you would amend to the design if you didn't have the 2 hallways? thank you.

20 days ago

We have all seen and offered suggestions previously on your friends renovation and I'am sorry to see that they are still confused with choices, but can totally understand as it can be a daunting task. I wonder if their chosen professional is letting them down or is having trouble guiding them to make better decisions.

The Pantry is the kitchen and the kitchen is more like a Bar/wet area and will need a sink. This layout is strange unless they have employed help who will work in the Pantry/Kitchen and they, only use the token kitchen/Bar. Rotating the island which could mean swapping the dining and living due to space would work better and that space could become a kitchen.

The Media room should be swapped with the study so that the Media room becomes a legal liveable room with a window for ventilation and natural light, this room can be Multi function if needed ie: guest bedroom for parents etc

The Powder room as is doesn't work by creating the second passageway which was originally suggested as a semi Mudroom to be used when family enter from the garage or front door. This Powder room needs to be able to be accessed by those using the Media/guest/MFR. Possibly even adding a shower for use with the MFR or just by teenagers returning from sport and dumping their dirty togs.

The study could open up to the family room with full height sliding doors.

I have added a rough diagram as it's too difficult to read the actual plan details and can't remember what name your friend posted with

• Black Bamboo
    20 days ago

If its a renovation this extensive and going to cost well over $100k, I wouldn't be taking the advice of well meaning people with no skin in the game. I would be engaging a talented designer who can really do something with the concept. It's always strange to me that people are willing to sink thousands into a renovation but worry about consult fees, which in the end result will save them big $$$. This doesn't look like the work of a designer, but of a draftsperson just drawing up a clients laundry list. Good advice isn't free most of the time. But do you got to work expecting not to be paid? Design talent is worth the cost.

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    20 days ago

unfortunately, she has consulted with a designer and worked through her ideas. Perhaps, there are designers and good designers. Like anything in life. The only thing the designer raised was the issue with the double hallway as wasted space but everything else got the green light 🙃

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    20 days ago

The renovation is $300k

20 days ago

As shown in my rough floorplan the "second Hallway" was meant as a Mudroom, long narrow storage space with access from "THE hallway" into it opposite the Media room to give access to it, the laundry and the much needed powder room. I think the kitchen pantry needs to be reconsider for better flow and use of space.

20 days ago

It should have a door on that space as well to shut it off from the kitchen

• Kate
    20 days ago

I don’t mind the double hallway with the kitchen rotated as it is just a mudroom/laundry extension. You could close it somehow and create access into the scullery and main hall but I don’t know all the existing constraints and the change may have negaitvies

20 days ago

We would need better plan details to try and make changes for the better, it just makes it less time consuming to work with, floorplans can take quite a lot of time to configure

• dreamer
    20 days ago

From asking a simple question, as to where to put a sink, has opened a can of worms. This is a wonderful forum with great ideas, from all different points of view, and different family needs.
    It appears you and your friend are indecisive and have now made your life even more complicated with asking for opinions, on your and your friends renovation lay outs.
    You need to look how you and your friend live. Not how we do, and decide, yes be strong and make a decision. We can all offer options and various thoughts, but you are the ones that live in YOUR homes.

19 days ago

Houzzers including OKL and myself have spent a lot of time on beaus friends house and yes the question was about a sink, but to see the 2nd passageway misinterpreted by the designer in their drawings is a mistake, it was always meant to be a mudroom situation that worked very well before access to the powder room was over looked and negated

We only offer suggestions to be taken to a Pro for finalizing and proceeding through to council. The Pro should offer their client 2 & 3D vision to ensure it is understood. Perhaps it might be time to bring in another Professional opinion to help make that decision. Spending $300k is worth it .Renovating and building isn't for the faint hearted and shouldn't be rushed. Perhaps it would be even better to take a step back and wait a bit longer except government grants won't last for ever.

19 days ago

And it's not unique when someone posts a dilemma we all find other things that we think need considering and possibly changing for the better

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

siriuskey thank you so much. hopefully this pic is more clear for you. I will pass on the suggestions. In the clearer pic attached, could you suggest any other changes?

19 days ago

thank you but can you enlarge it so the dimensions are easier to read so I can have a look at it and make suggestions

19 days ago

What about the original floorplan, can you post that as well

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

dimensions

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

original, no measurement

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

the designer has her original plan with measurements. he is on holiday.

19 days ago

Thank you for all the info, I will look through it for possible ideas that might suit your friend better

19 days ago

It does make more sense seeing the existing plan but there still has to be a way to make it work better than that as drawn.

• amonymousanne
    19 days ago

Your friend needs to assess whether she is happy with this design . If not ,and I wouldn’t be , she should consider consulting an architect and cutting her losses . Three hundred thousand dollars is not petty change , but perhaps she is happy with the design . You should not be putting yourself in the firing line . Good luck !

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

thank you all so much for all the time, effort and feedback you have provided my friend. I have passed on all comments to her. She is going to reasses her design and take on your advice. I will let you know how it pans out. 👍👍👍

19 days ago

It has proved too difficult to easily read the plans, so the following. I agree that the current floorplan looks like it has been done by a draft person who are good at drawing up designs but this to me is all over the place.

I don't agree with pushing the wall out to line up with the garage at what cost for very little gain, The fridge can still be set back into the WIP or at the end of the benchtop.

The bedroom with the WIR jutting out into the family room is wrong so I have reduced the size of the games room enlarging the bedroom and taking space for a robe

Can you combine the study and games or Theatre and games?

Totally disagree with the Theatre being an internal space when it can easily be made into a MFR by swapping it with the study.

I would be happy to draw this up if given access to readable dimensions, cheers

19 days ago

without extending you already have a large space for WIP, Laundry mudroom & Powder room

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

@siriuskey T H A N K Y O U so much. is it possible on here to post a pdf of the plan for you? I'm not sure how to do this. I have her pdf she emailed.

19 days ago

Not sure, have you tried, or could you take a photo of it if it doesn't work

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

hope this works

19 days ago

are you able to zoom in on just the left hand measurements and post

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

this ok?

19 days ago

Sorry I can read the 24100 and the next line but when I enlarge it all the others become blurred can you enlarge it further in two sections

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

hope ok. thank you

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    19 days ago

hope ok

19 days ago

YES I can read!!, so if you can do the others, pls mark what they are, you could add them to the ideas book so as not to bore everyone else with my lack of vision

• essencegirl
    18 days ago

The two hallways feels like a lost opportunity to utilise space better. I would consider only having one hallway (the entrance one) and rejigging the other hallway and then you could pull the island bench back toward into the scullery area. That would enable a more spacious entrance and a slightly bigger kitchen/dining/living area.

• Sandra Mcalpine
    17 days ago

I love the idea of coming in from the garage to the laundry then kitchen. I’m not a fan of sculleries so I’d kind of use the laundry a bit like a scullery. Eg. Big pots and pans into the laundry trough to soak, store big stuff in there. I’d have a big pantry instead of a scullery. If the plan is what’s happening with only minor changes then the only suggestion I have is to put the sink nearer to the hot plate so dirty dishes can go straight into it when you’re cooking. I’m not sure how the small sink in the main kitchen would be used otherwise. It’s an expensive drinking water tap.

• beaumitchell
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thank you so much Houzzers! for all your support for my friend

• dreamer
    17 days ago

A simple sketch of my thoughts. No double hallways. Powder room out of hallway. Position of doors, appliances and storage determined by home owner.

17 days ago

The placement of the sink in my suggested new floorplan is to keep clean up out of the kitchen as requested and is still in easy reach of the cooktop, with or without the Nib wall. If this sink is carefully considered it will accommodate large pots and pans The smaller sink in the Island is to facilitate veggie prep and salad making plus drinking water for family and guests,

I prefer to keep the WIP and Laundry as separate spaces as shown but still allow both access to outdoor for clothes line and rubbish bins.. The Linen room can be an Airing room which are popular these days, either way it's a good space attached to the laundry.

I also prefer the powder room not having to be accessed by guests via the Laundry, this powder room will also be used when the Media room is in use. The Media room and study have been swapped so that the Media room now has Light and ventilation via a window.

17 days ago

@beaumitchell, if your friend prefers to have the powder room within the laundry my floorplan is easy to adjust, as follows. I have lengthened the kitchen cabinets behind the powder room but if preferred that extra depth can remain within the PR

• Nick Percival
    17 days ago

I think the whole design needs professional assessment and re-thinking. Generally poor quality but then I’ve been designing commercially for well over fifty years. Just start again and I’m sure you’ll succeed in the end.

17 days ago

@Nick Percival can we please see your ideas

• Nick Percival
    16 days ago

I would need to see the client’s brief first.

14 days ago

Nick Percival people often post on HOUZZ because they can't get suitable professional help so would love to hear some of your ideas based on information that beaumitchel has already provided