rachibobs

Extension and renovation in northern suburbs of Melbourne

rachibobs
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Hi internet friends!We're planning to renovate and extend our 2 bed 1950s weatherboard in Melbourne's northern suburbs. The plans include renovation of existing bathroom (becomes ensuite) and removal of kitchen, update of existing rooms (add robes, convert existing lounge to bedroom). The extension adds new kitchen, living, dining, bath, laundry. The house also needs releveling (was restumped approx 15 yrs ago). The block is flat, all work is on a single level.The existing floor plan is about 100 sqm. The extension roughly doubles the size of our house by the end.We have received some quotes, all higher than our expectations based on rough per sqm costs, archicentre online calculator & designer's original guidance. But I realise these are all somewhat external to the building market and I wonder if our expectations are out of whack. Or maybe we've been talking to high-end builders without realising, but I don't think so.What's your thoughts on rough per sqm cost for a mid range job? And any advice for finding a reasonable builder that will work within this?We had previously dismissed a knock down rebuild but the quotes are making us rethink this logic.

Comments (12)