Houzz Logo Print
webuser_60239361

Seasonal walls cracking

webuser_60239361
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Newbie poster -

Our house cracks every 6 months. It opens for winter and closes in summer approx March and October.

the cracks are quite wide - the vertical one opens to about 3-4mm, the one in the corner you could put your finger in. the movement has made a section of the cornice fall off and the crack now goes the whole way across the top of the wall above the cornice. This wall has had plaster put over a brick wall by a previous owner and can’t tell why without removing the whole thing.

We have had a couple of builders and an engineer come and look and say it’s not structural which is fine but it is very ugly for cosmetics. They have suggested it could be due to moisture in the soil but these cracks expand and contract within a few days and seems more to do with temperature to me - is this possible?

How can I fix this without having to re-plaster every 6 months?

(the vertical crack photos are from today, the open corner is from March last year - corner crack is currently closed)

On another note we have much less significant movement in our bathrooms <1mm in an approx 1980 house. I know they need re-doing and modern waterproofing. Can bathrooms cope with this much seasonal movement?

Comments (18)